Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pharoh

Debian Net Install

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was thinking about doing a Debian network install on my laptop. Not that I need to save resources or anything, its just that I'd like to try a few things out. I've done it on desktop machines before, no problem. However I know that there are several problematic components in my laptop that even some 'easy' distro doesn't deal with automatically (bcm43xx wireless and nvidia proprietary drivers). This is not my problem though. I am wondering if anyone knows exactly what (if anything) I need to install for ACPI to work. What is needed for me to be able to change power management settings and, more importantly, do I need to do anything special for the install to realize it's on a laptop?

If it is relevant, the laptop is a Vostro 1500 (C2D 1.6GHz, 4GB, 8400gs 128MB)

Edited by Pharoh

ACPI should be installed by default when you install the "laptop" packages from Debian. You may have to enable kernel support though -- it's been a while since I did a fresh install of Debian on any of my laptops. In any case, there's no reason that, if you somehow don't install it during the netinst, you wouldn't be able to install it later on.

If you are trying to install JUST the laptop ACPI stuff, the packages are called:

acpi-support

acpi-support-base

laptop-detect

apt-get install acpi-support acpi-support-base laptop-detect

Okay, thanks guys. I went ahead and did it last night. The netinst actually ran laptop-detect during installation and figured out it was a laptop by itself. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be too much trouble to do a net installation rather than a normal one.

Oh make sure you check uname -a and see if its installed a modern kernel. Admitly I have used debian's latest release but the old releases used to install by default a linux-386 kernel which is very basic and missed out support for processor speed scaling, multicore and large memory support. Look for at least a linux-686smp. (not sure of the exact naming conventions off the top of my head but search synaptic/aptitude. Sorry if this info mation is below your knowledge level. :D

I'm using and up to date kernel with i686 support. Also, I believe this kernel (all 686 kernels?) comes configured for SMP support.

I'm using and up to date kernel with i686 support. Also, I believe this kernel (all 686 kernels?) comes configured for SMP support.

Should do

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -E 'processor|MHz'

Now count the processors, if the Mhz lines are less then your processors rated at then scaling working and your good to go. On the gnome desktop add a processor scaling applet and choose a govneror, I use ondemand, for laptops.

All new kernels being pushed into the next release of Debian will have SMP enabled by default. Also note that these kernel versions are > 2.6.18. I run Debian sid and they are at 2.6.25-2. I must have been mistaken that even etch came with this support enabled by default.

Etch users try a cat /boot/config-`uname -r` | grep SMP and you may be surprised to see what you find. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

All new kernels being pushed into the next release of Debian will have SMP enabled by default. Also note that these kernel versions are > 2.6.18. I run Debian sid and they are at 2.6.25-2. I must have been mistaken that even etch came with this support enabled by default.

Etch users try a cat /boot/config-`uname -r` | grep SMP and you may be surprised to see what you find. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Wow, the last time i install Debian on a box not just a vm to test things, it installed a 2.4 kernel even though the rest of the world was up to 2.6.12

pharoh@vostro:~$ cat /boot/config-`uname -r` | grep SMP
CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
# CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
# CONFIG_X86_VSMP is not set
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_SMP=y
CONFIG_SUSPEND_SMP_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_HIBERNATION_SMP_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_VP27SMPX=m
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y

pharoh@vostro:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -E 'processor|MHz'
processor : 0
cpu MHz : 800.000
processor : 1
cpu MHz : 800.000

As I said before, I was pretty sure (edit: lenny) kernels were configured for SMP. It may be because I upgraded from the default 2.6.22 kernel to the 2.6.24 so that I could get my broadcom wireless to work. Last night I stayed up late to smooth all the drivers out and now everything runs very well. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Pharoh

Wow, the last time i install Debian on a box not just a vm to test things, it installed a 2.4 kernel even though the rest of the world was up to 2.6.12

Must have been the Debian woody release... Yeah, next release of Debian will be at 2.6.24 most likely.., they have to because of all the new hardware out. Specifically for motherboards with ICH9 and the newer IDE and SATA controllers, using the libata support built into the kernel.