Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

Proxies

6 posts in this topic

i was reading the nannycracking topic here and saw the post that nick put up about proxies. i was wondering how excatly a proxie works. is it as if i was logged into another network? and am i kindda out of my current network if i am in a proxy?

Well you can get a couple of different types of proxies. The word proxy in this case means to go through something else. So you can get web proxies, such as the ones I posted which you goto in your browser, and then type in the site you want to visit. When you do that the proxy its self gets the webpage, and then forwards it to you, so the proxy is the only computer, which connects to the site you want.

You can also get the standard type of proxy which you type into internet explorer, that are usually run on port 3128. Technically these work a different way, but they do the same thing. - This type usually provide additional features to their users such as caching of frequently requested files, logging, content filtering, and website request spoofing/redirection. Apache comes with a fully featured proxy server.

I also recently found out that some proxies allow banner scanning of services running on remote networks, due to the fact that if you type in e.g. http://serveronlan:25 they will feed you back out the output on an error page. (discovered that by accident when I typed in port 25 instead of 21 to connect to an ftp server)

is it as if i was logged into another network?

Yes, as any requests for e.g. Webpages you want are actually requested from the proxy machine its self, so if that machine is connected to a LAN you can get webpages which are only served locally to the LAN as the proxy machine acts as a bridge.

and am i kindda out of my current network if i am in a proxy?

Well, not really, you always remain on your current network, as that’s how requests are sent to the proxy, also the proxy is only likely to be for e.g. http traffic so everything else just carries on in the normal way (pop3/imap email etc)