Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

Project Idea

5 posts in this topic

Recently I have gotten tired of people leeching off my wireless network to get their internet fix and i rather than setup encryption i had an idea and i don't know exactly how to execute this joke/deterrent to the leechers.

Here's my idea.

I want to have my modem and router go thru a server that is running a web server, but what i want to happen is to have everyone from the outside to only access my web server while i'm able to have access to the internet. The web server will either have pictures from shock web sites i.e. goatse, meatswing and stuff like that or a federal background saying their mac address has been logged and you will be investigated.

i know how to make the website and setup the web server, however i don't know how to filter the mac addresses to have my computer's mac address's access the interweb and have the leechers watch 2 girls 1 cup no matter what url they type in.

Any thoughts as to how i can do this? I'm not very good with linux so that wouldn't be recommended, but i'm willing to try options with it. I also have all the hardware, i just don't have the knowledge as how to implement it.

Any thoughts or improvements are welcome.

Thanks

Ive been wondering the same thing for a while too... minus the meatspin.

I was wondering if I could telnet into my linksys and edit some file to force it to redirect wireless to another box. -but my Linux skills are pretty poor too.

Edited by PurpleJesus

If you have a stock out-of-the-box wireless access point/router, most don't usually have rules to redirect specific MAC addresses or IPs. What they do usually have, though, is the ability to reserve a specific IP address to a MAC for DHCP.

You could set the router to always assign your machine(s) specific IP addresses. Then, between the router and cable modem, you could place a modest linux box with dual nics, that just routes traffic from interface A (local) to interface B (Internet). Using IP tables rules, you could then set the Linux router to forward all unknown IP addresses (ie: the ones you don't assign to your own boxen) to a specific site. Unfortunately, because this Linux router/redirector wouldn't be on the same network as the first-hop router, you can't filter by MAC in this scenario, you have to use IP. Chances are, however, your 'victims' wouldn't be smart enough to figure out your they need to use your IP, and then set theirs to it.

EDIT: Also, I know there are some firmware hacks for various router models out there like DD-WRT. If it provides shell-level access, you could probably implement some more custom settings there as well. Having to install anything new might be a pain though, as they probably don't have a large amount of storage space.

Edited by Dirk Chestnut