Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
olracdor

nmap

9 posts in this topic

i was just wondering, how can i use nmap to hack other people's computer? all i see is ports etc. does that mean i can acces those port using a web browser so i can see their files?

You probably could not hack them. Most computers on the net are fairly secure these days. An open port just means it is a TCP end point for a connection. These are usually a server process that will communicate with client software. Try using netcat to connect to them and hit return a few times. Every now and again you will get something out of the ordinary. Take a look at this: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

That is a list of common port assignments. Everything from 1-1000 is usually run as root (though software like Apache will switch to another user). There is another defined range for other server processes and tcp stacks use ephemeral ports for the client connection.

An open port presents a vulnerable part of the system. This is software that can be accessed and manipulated across the net. To exploit these you will have to learn how they work and how to program (the server software has to be poorly written as well). There are public programs that can do this, most are either old or malware though.

if you want to hack try nmapping 127.0.0.1. Disable your firewall first though.

Edited by vvuiverine

oh, so i must learn to create a program that can work with theirs? sort of a patch or something like that?

nmap just gives you the open ports on a target computer.

Lets say for example that you scan a computer and you find ports 22,21 and 80 open. That means that the target computer has http,ssh and ftp services running.

Now these services are applications that can accept connections, openssh in 22, apache for 80,etc.

A hacker will find vulnerabilities and exploit them in these services..

Don't forget that a regular nmap scan will only scan the most common ports in a certain range. Also, just because you don't get a ping reply doesn't mean a target isn't available. Try passing the -P0 as well.

I like using -PS or -PA. The SYN ping is not as stealthy as the -PA though.

i was just wondering, how can i use nmap to hack other people's computer? all i see is ports etc. does that mean i can acces those port using a web browser so i can see their files?
oh, so i must learn to create a program that can work with theirs? sort of a patch or something like that?

Now, don't take this the wrong way... but if you're not sure what to do with the output of nmap or what it means, then why are you using it in the first place?

Take a step back.

Don't worry so much about how to "hack other people's computer" now. You need to do some more reading and learning to find out how it all works first, before you try to break everything.

And think about it, why in God's name would any developer put something that ridiculously easy to exploit in their code, much less in an operating system that's been around for over 15 years?

well, iwas just curious and i want to learn how to use nmap. so its all about yhe open ports got it