Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacktactic

kinda Bored

14 posts in this topic

ok so i've tried a lot of different linux distros and i've learned a lot.

i can easily say im at an intermediate level.

now im bored

anyone kinow any kool linux projects???

Yep, every single one of them is cool which is why people start them.... it just depends what 'floats your boat'.

What are you into - hardware, software, networking, graphics, activism, freedom?

Mungewell

i can easily say im at an intermediate level.

now im bored

As it stands, that's an almost ridiculous question.

Just spend some time wandering around Freshmeat or Sourceforge, and find something that interests you. All depends on what you consider "kool".

i'll have to agree with mirrorshades!

have a look at the places that that the guys mentioned.

Or if you have the time play around with scratch and arch linux or with the kernel!!

Trust me there is much more things out there except of just installing and configuring a distro!

cheers

im going to start learning more in depth networking and programming!

i just found a REALLY vuln box!!!

freaking awesome!

im probably gonna focus on that box for now!

lol! passwd was "admin"

LOL

Why not try learning about how stuff works, instead of worrying about how to break it? At the end of the day, your knowledge will be more complete. (Assuming you're actually looking to *learn* something, instead of just become a "l33t h4x0r".) Stop by your local library and see what they have in their computer/technology section. I guarantee you'll be better off.

Another thing... "LOL" less. It just looks silly. :)

this is fucking stupid, you've tried a few different distros so that puts you at an intermediate level ?

I've been using linux for almost a year and I still consider myself a beginner... and thats not because I suck or something its because linux is so....vast. If you can't conjure up a solution to your boredom then I suggest going back to windows and playing with outdated aim punters...

remixx

this is fucking stupid, you've tried a few different distros so that puts you at an intermediate level ?

I've been using linux for almost a year and I still consider myself a beginner... and thats not because I suck or something its because linux is so....vast. If you can't conjure up a solution to your boredom then I suggest going back to windows and playing with outdated aim punters...

remixx

well ive been using linux for 6 years and i still consider myself a noob.

Some cool things you can do are setup a mythtv box as your media pc, or turn a trashpicked computer into a router, or make a digital picture frame (more of a hardware project),, If you do one thing i would recommend a dns and lamp server at your house. Its total nerd points when a friend comes over, connects to your network and you get to say "just download it from the intranet."

Its total nerd points when a friend comes over, connects to your network and you get to say "just download it from the intranet."

dude... you've definitely graduated to l337ness if you can say that :)

Its total nerd points when a friend comes over, connects to your network and you get to say "just download it from the intranet."

Meh... I have a home LAN, complete with DMZ. At any given time, around 7 or 8 computers connected to it.

Doesn't everyone...? :)

Meh... I have a home LAN, complete with DMZ. At any given time, around 7 or 8 computers connected to it.

Doesn't everyone...? :)

A LAN server is a great idea -- having a centralized file store, as opposed to random shares on every machine in the house, has really helped with workstation disk usage and duplicate file problems. Plus, it's a great learning experience, and will get you away from the GUI a little, and into the command prompt.

It's only truly badass when it's running on a MIPS-based 1U rackmounted machine, hacked together from an old web cache.

Seriously though, the Cobalt CacheRAQ machines are perfect firewall/router machines -- 150 MHz or better MIPS processor (adequate for Linux when it's just routing), 6.4 GB hard disk (replaced mine with a Cf -> IDE converter and 2 GB CF), dual 10/100 Ethernet ports, up to 256 MB RAM, and the cool front panel LCD and blinkenlights for the Ethernet ports. A regular PC with two Ethernet cards works perfectly fine for a router, though.

Fun and educational stuff (having to do with linux) to do when bored:

http://helmer.sfe.se/

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

The former teaches you a lot about parallel and cloud computing (there's no tutorial on the site, unfortunately), while the latter teaches you about the foundations of a Linux system. Both are worth your while if you're an "intermediate" user.

remixx

remixx

well ive been using linux for 6 years and i still consider myself a noob.

Some cool things you can do are setup a mythtv box as your media pc, or turn a trashpicked computer into a router, or make a digital picture frame (more of a hardware project),, If you do one thing i would recommend a dns and lamp server at your house. Its total nerd points when a friend comes over, connects to your network and you get to say "just download it from the intranet."

Hmm I fail to understand what level were playing at, when you say "using Linux" do you mean from a users perspective or a hackers perspective? looking from a users perspective, I don't believe you can label users noob, as their intentions are different in the sense that they are trying to use the system productively and couldn't really care less about what's under hood, I say from the time you can do what you used to do in your previous OS(windows etc.) in Linux then your OK as far as using the system goes.

I also see nothing wrong with using windows as there are alot of things you can do in it nowadays, i've currently switched my setup around from running archlinux as host and windows as guest in vmware to running windows as host and arch Linux in vmware, if you love low level coding then try win32asm, or even reverse engineering. Also LFS(Linux from scratch) sounds wonderful and fun; it will deepen knowledge of how linux works on a whole, give it a try, you won't be disappointed

Well guys thanks for the replies! I made anew account 'cause the old on was...useless and outdates, i could say.Thats the one thing about forums, I come back a lot later and get to see how incredibly ridiculous I sounded.

As for that problem, it doesn't exist anymore. I moved on to a really good distro (Slackware) that always keeps me entertained, and I am now diving inot learning C++ and incorporating libpcap in C. It really keeps me busy and by the end of the day on my weekends my brain feels totally fried....but in a good way.

Thanks for all the replies, even the not so cheerful ones, because, lets face it, I would talk to me like that too.

I'm hopefully going to become a part of the community for real now.

Thanks everyone for not flaming me and hope to talk to you all. :)