Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SUB-S0NIX

Router Configuration

5 posts in this topic

I need some help or possibly a way to configure my router so that all traffic that goes outbound is forwarded to a proxy or another host before any data reaches its final destination. Is this possible?

Dont know if I have network terminology right when it comes to using a proxy, but basically I want to instruct my router to forward all traffic through another hop. Any suggestions?

LAN -> Router -> ISP -> Proxy

netbsd with ipf/ipnat can do that

Thanks for the reply.

Im trying to work with what i already have, which is a linksys vpn router and or a regular linksys wireless router.

If you set up a VPN connection to a remote host, all network traffic should go through the remote network before going out onto the Internet. (Technically it is "on the Internet" from your node to the VPN host, but it's encrypted and can't go anywhere else. So it doesn't count. Ha.) Once you're on the remote network, you can do whatever proxying/filtering you like (or not, if the goal was simply to go via a remote network first).

Depending on the VPN you use, you will want to make sure that gateway redirection is enabled (or whatever the VPN software calls it). I found that an OpenVPN install I had on IPCop did not have this enabled by default; thus, all Internet traffic went out over my normal connection, and only items destined for the remote LAN went over the VPN. Gateway redirection is the magic juju that pushes *all* network traffic over the VPN first.