mirrorshades

The Great Ubuntu-Girlfriend Experiment

13 posts in this topic

i had my moms compuyter set up like that for years, though running beos, she had mail, and she had internet, no other choices.

My girlfriend is currently using my IBM T40 with Debian Etch...got tired of Windows slowness and malware problems. Of course she'd already been using Linux on my Toshiba Libretto, so she knew some console commands and had used Fluxbox before. So far, so good -- and she likes the games that come with Gnome better than the games that come with Windows!

I clicked on this post in hopes of a tutorial on how to build the perfect girlfriend using Ubuntu. A real life 'Weird Science'. *sigh* :wub:

I clicked on this post in hopes of a tutorial on how to build the perfect girlfriend using Ubuntu. A real life 'Weird Science'. *sigh* :wub:

Dude! why have you got a bra on your head?

My girlfriend is currently using my IBM T40 with Debian Etch...got tired of Windows slowness and malware problems. Of course she'd already been using Linux on my Toshiba Libretto, so she knew some console commands and had used Fluxbox before. So far, so good -- and she likes the games that come with Gnome better than the games that come with Windows!

Fluxbox is nice cause you can just set a bunch of custom commands with generic names instead of IE. AIM instead of Pidgin. and seamlessly run something like utorrent under wine with one click instead of typing in a command. Along with idesk i'd say that linux/fluxbox could be really mom/girlfriend friendly configured correctly.

wow this thread got sexist.

Haha, I don't think people should doubt girlfriends so much.

I've got my laptop set up in a very custom way (running Slackware by the way), certainly not the INTERNET/WORD PROCESSOR style setup seen above and after a few goes she's getting used to it now haha, that is to say she can find Firefox in the KMenu and she's found Pidgin,

She still can't shut it down though.

"Click the black icon at the bottom, now type 'poweroff', no, 'poweroff' one word. The black one...at the bottom....no, not on the bottom of the keyboard on the screen....no...God! I'll do it!"

=]

My Girlfriend is better at linux than I am....plus she is a total linux nazi. ;)

When I got my wife her new laptop she had one request...ANYTHING but Windows...

So its running Ubuntu 7.10, and she couldn't be happier....

I have my mother running Ubuntu on her PC. She has never used Windows so I don't think she realizes that her system is "different" from what most people have. And she keeps sending me email, and I haven't had any complaints, so I guess it's working out for her. That's one thing I love about GNU/Linux, you can just set it up and it will run without hardly any maintenance and without "decomposing" over time. This is a reason why I think it's a good choice for beginners.

My Girlfriend is better at linux than I am....plus she is a total linux nazi. ;)

You're a blessed man, Stank ^_^

Are you sure she's really a girl? :)