Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xxXXsh4rk80YXXxx

Partitioning

2 posts in this topic

When I first installed Ubuntu I wanted to dual boot so I made some free space on my laptop, booted up the Ubuntu cd and used the guided (I beleive) to partition my hdd, which basically did it all for me. Now I have all my stuff on one partition. After using linux for awhile I now realize I want to have a seperate partition for my /home. How would I go about doing this? I have qparted installed but I don't want to ruin my system because im not too sure how to go about it.

help appreciated,

thanks

Hi,

Firstly backup up '/home' and '/etc', if you've got those on CD/DVD you should be able to rebuild your system should anything goes wrong.

Did you mean 'gparted' or 'qparted', either way they are basically the same. You would be able to use either to shrink the existing partition (assuming you have only 1 containing both the OS and /home), and then create another one in the now-available space. If you have run out of primary partitions or need to swap over partitions, it all gets a little more complicated.

Once the new partition is created, you can format it and mount it at some other location on the system. 'Tar' is a good way of copying a whole load of files across without altering their permissions, or you could use 'cp -rPd <source> <dest>'.

Once the copy is done, you will need to alter '/etc/fstab' so that there is an entry for home pointing at the newly created partition. You will need to create an empty directory '/home' on which to mount the new partition, for safety's sake I would rename/move the old home to (say) '/home_old' so that it will be still available once the system is rebooted.

Hope this helps.

Mungewell.