Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

MS Crack the Code

9 posts in this topic

I just found this contest today, from Microsoft. Crack the Code

They have four puzzles to solve to enter a contest for different gift card prizes.

The first one is just ascii code. Just enter "Hieroglyphic" for puzzle number one.

Now I'm at puzzle number two. They give a link to a page displaying some HTML code. They say there is a bug in the code and that this bug is the answer to puzzle 2. When I click the link, I get the code (is that the bug?) If I save this code to an HTML file and then open it, it just works (it displays an animated ASCII butterfly). I'm not sure where the bug is to be searched. Any help?

Edited by Aghaster

They have four puzzles to solve to enter a contest for different gift card prizes.

The first one is just ascii code. Just enter "Hieroglyphic" for puzzle number one.

Now I'm at puzzle number two. They give a link to a page displaying some HTML code. They say there is a bug in the code and that this bug is the answer to puzzle 2. When I click the link, I get the code (is that the bug?) If I save this code to an HTML file and then open it, it just works (it displays an animated ASCII butterfly). I'm not sure where the bug is to be searched. Any help?

Isn't the butterfly a bug :huh:

Was willing to check it out but the 'contest' requires giving M$ (and likely a third party) your mobile so they can needlessly spam you with SMS. No thanks.

That's the most insulting 'contest' ever. I can't believe I signed up. It's all just a ploy to get you to buy Visual Studio 2008 by forcing you to download the trial (you don't have to if you know how to read basic code).

Hieroglyphic

butterfly

2200 (this one was multiple choice, just wow.)

Isn't the butterfly a bug :huh:

OMG... I just realized they didn't want us to find a real bug, but a bug like an insect

OMG... I just realized they didn't want us to find a real bug, but a bug like an insect

That's what makes you awesome Aghaster ! :)

That's what makes you awesome Aghaster ! :)

That's what happens when you expect a real puzzle. You don't see the obvious too easy answer. They said these puzzles require developer skills... but where? I don't know. Maybe they've just made their puzzle so easy so people participate in the contest.

No butterfly in Hieroglyphic language, but there is a beetle!

Edited by MaRo