Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Webcam chatting software

4 posts in this topic

I often use my webcam on MSN. However, when using the webcam, the msn process starts eating up my memory until my computer dies of starvation.

Does anybody know of a FAST way to use the webcam for a conversation over the internet? preferably with text chatting included.

I use yahoo on occasion, you need to know how far your calling because i like to be funny and use the webcam from kentucky to indonesia and it can be very jittery

I often use my webcam on MSN. However, when using the webcam, the msn process starts eating up my memory until my computer dies of starvation.

Does anybody know of a FAST way to use the webcam for a conversation over the internet? preferably with text chatting included.

Anything not written by microsoft...?? Seriously though it depends on whom you are trying to chat to. Most Video phone services run on propriatory protocols, meaning that you are tied to whatever app they supply. There are some open ones (SIP and H323) which can be used for video chat.

For a 'Free' (beer and liberity) you could use Ekiga which is a SIP/H323 endpoint, you will need to convince your other party to use the same propocol (and possibly application).

The Ekiga wiki has an interopability table which might give you ideas for other apps to try:

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_prog..._with_Ekiga_%3F

Cheers,

Mungewell.

I am with vector; Skype works nicely.