aliks0905

Internet ISP question

11 posts in this topic

This is more of a networking connectivity question that I have. I live in a city that's not one of the bigger ones in US, so heres the deal.

At one point I was interested in how much my own business internet line would cost me. Here's the averages that I got:

- 1.5/1.5M T1 local loop, dedicated access, 200+ IP's = $450/mo

-10Mbit/ 100Mbit (not sure which one, please clarify which connection fits the price -->): $4500/mo-$6000/mo

I currently operate about various websites and wish to try and start a webhosting business. What kind of line is suitable for this kind of business? Even If I dont start a webhosting business, I run a variety of websites for which my servers are becoming limited to, so would it be better to (in the long run) to buy additional servers from FDC or set up my own? And with each of the lines offered, does it work like my normal ISP connection where if I'm downloading 1 file, the speed is 1MB/S. 2= 512KB/S or will I be getting 1MB/S downloads no matter how many users I have connected?

Like I said, I live in Eastern WA area so by setting up a 100Mbit conn, I may be able to provide internet service to several other companies as well.

Thanks

Normally, the bandwidth you pay for is the total... therefore, if you have the 1.5 mbit T1 and have (say) 100 users sharing it, the total that all of them can use put together would be 1.5. The upload/download speeds are separate, though, so someone downloading torrents on your down line wouldn't affect your web hosting.

Unless you already have a number of clients with quantifiable traffic lined up, I would say that you could start with a smaller package, but make sure there is room to upgrade to more bandwidth easily if necessary (without needing to purchase new equipment, switch public IPs, etc...).

I would suggest residential FiOS (via VerizOWN) if it's in your area. Any fiber ISP will be considerably cheaper.

I would suggest residential FiOS (via VerizOWN) if it's in your area. Any fiber ISP will be considerably cheaper.

Unfortunately, the keyword there is “residential.” They oversell their bandwidth because it’s presumed residential users won’t use the maximum amount of bandwidth 24/7.

There’s quite a bit of competition when it comes to physical server sites. Do they have any big hosting companies in Washington?

Yeah a basic crappy DSL/Cable will do fine, then focus on getting the traffic, upon the traffic get a service like cachefly to hold you over till it will be afforable to upgrade.. Reality for most companies are that they are never hammered all at once unless the host something live or get a digg effect(slim to none with business). Meaning streaming live not just a big download. When the traffic starts coming then you should do the Frac or T1 option. If you get to the point where a t1 wont do, then they deals will come to you...

:-)

This is more of a networking connectivity question that I have. I live in a city that's not one of the bigger ones in US, so heres the deal.

At one point I was interested in how much my own business internet line would cost me. Here's the averages that I got:

- 1.5/1.5M T1 local loop, dedicated access, 200+ IP's = $450/mo

-10Mbit/ 100Mbit (not sure which one, please clarify which connection fits the price -->): $4500/mo-$6000/mo

I currently operate about various websites and wish to try and start a webhosting business. What kind of line is suitable for this kind of business? Even If I dont start a webhosting business, I run a variety of websites for which my servers are becoming limited to, so would it be better to (in the long run) to buy additional servers from FDC or set up my own? And with each of the lines offered, does it work like my normal ISP connection where if I'm downloading 1 file, the speed is 1MB/S. 2= 512KB/S or will I be getting 1MB/S downloads no matter how many users I have connected?

Like I said, I live in Eastern WA area so by setting up a 100Mbit conn, I may be able to provide internet service to several other companies as well.

Thanks

10/100mbit is merely if you were to open a callcenter or something with 100+ employees is internal use only/Intranet hosting via options of T1/T3/Etc.. Not for anybody unless opening a big office.. This really depends on the business and proven traffic, not futures. Plus you dont want to get into the ISP type of business more headache..

WA should be more than well equiped.

thanks guys. I think I'll stick with FDC for now. They're pretty reliable, and provide pretty much all the support that's needed for me. WA is equipped pretty well, except I live in Spokane which is the far side of WA so prices are over-inflated when it comes to ISPs.

Unless you already have another reason to be maintaining a server room I think virtual servers and/or co-location are the way to go for web hosting.

Unless you already have another reason to be maintaining a server room I think virtual servers and/or co-location are the way to go for web hosting.

Indeed, colocation is pretty cheap anymore, and it lets you build your own box. You could also consider dedicated servers (over virtual servers, which are cheaper, but don't give you actual hardware). The company I recently worked for used an offsite backup system I was in charge of, which backed up data over rsync to a dedicated server from ServerPronto. I think the system we got from them was an AMD AthlonXP 2000+ with 256 MB RAM and 40 GB hard disk space. We paid a rate of $29.95/month, and that includes 200 GB/month transfer (if you go over this limit, it's $0.89/GB over -- which is a lot better than just having your service stopped or throttled!). With a dedicated server, you get full control of whatever OS you choose to use (we used Debian Linux) -- which also means you get full opportunity to screw it up, by not securing your box properly, locking yourself out of the system, etc.

Edited by systems_glitch

Co-Location in a large data center would be a far more cost effective way to go.

Check out Cave Creek. They gave me some killer quotes on co-locating for a game-server business I was looking to open. That, and they are one of the most reliable hosts in the country from experience I have had myself, and with other people in the industry.

262126338.png BAM It's all about the upload baby!

GAH theres my Cox unlimited business line. I pay $94/month for guaranteed t-1 speeds +. I do the same that you do and honestly its more dependent on what you'll actually be hosting as to the bandwidth required. A residential line doesn't give you the room for business growth from a data potential standpoint. In that reguard I would have to agree with Noph's comment about shared space... like rackspace.com. You could sub out space from them. Plus you arent responsible for the upkeep and all the bills that come with it. Unfortunately, since you are running a business everything would have be legit. That means data storage, backup, licenses would have to be bought and thats big bucks. COOLING and POWER are another big expense. I have 3 fully populated 42u racks in my livingroom and my power bill is about $360-$400 per month to cover machine power and cooling. I have the A/C on in the winter. LOL :)