Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xantr3x

Constantly Corrupted Windows Installation

9 posts in this topic

So I recently built a computer, and I'm running Windows XP Pro on it. A few weeks ago, I turned on my computer, and was greeted with a message saying that "hal.dll" is corrupted. Yes, Windows haters, have a field day, but unless Linux can learn to play my games, I'll be using it. So anyway, I wipe the drive, do a fresh install, but today, explorer started acting all screwy so I ended it through the Task Manager, and started it again. About this time all of my applications started getting screwy, so I hit the power switch on my computer. Voila! I restart, and get the error about hal.dll. What's going on?

So I recently built a computer, and I'm running Windows XP Pro on it. A few weeks ago, I turned on my computer, and was greeted with a message saying that "hal.dll" is corrupted. Yes, Windows haters, have a field day, but unless Linux can learn to play my games, I'll be using it. So anyway, I wipe the drive, do a fresh install, but today, explorer started acting all screwy so I ended it through the Task Manager, and started it again. About this time all of my applications started getting screwy, so I hit the power switch on my computer. Voila! I restart, and get the error about hal.dll. What's going on?

Could be the version of XP...

Those would be my two most obvious guesses. You are still making posts here so Im guessing you can torrent a new copy of XP. Just look for one that ends in .iso or some kind of image format that way all you have to do is use something like Deep Burner to make the disk.

Sounds like it could also be some kind of HDD failure. Bad patch of writeable space on the drive.

[EDIT]It's backwards, most likely a Windows problem, not a HDD problem.[/EDIT]

Edited by .Horse

Hal.dll is the hardware abstraction layer for the hardware you are running. Do a disk check, it is getting corrupted after it has been installed already. A new HD in and that should fix it. Or run a scan disk and try to repair all the bad sectors, who knows maybe spinrite really works. If it was the installer was not installing the correct kernel or HAL for your hardware the system would not boot at all. It is getting corrupted after the system has already booted...

Make sure before purchasing a new HD though.

Edited by vvuiverine

Hal.dll is the hardware abstraction layer for the hardware you are running. Do a disk check, it is getting corrupted after it has been installed already. A new HD in and that should fix it. Or run a scan disk and try to repair all the bad sectors, who knows maybe spinrite really works. If it was the installer was not installing the correct kernel or HAL for your hardware the system would not boot at all. It is getting corrupted after the system has already booted...

Make sure before purchasing a new HD though.

Some times running DBN (Boot & Nuke), or any other low level format tool for that matter, on a hard drive will fix these issues.

I would certainly try that before getting another hard drive.

Some times running DBN (Boot & Nuke), or any other low level format tool for that matter, on a hard drive will fix these issues.

I would certainly try that before getting another hard drive.

That is awesome. I learn something new here everyday.

Something else to consider, you might have a bum XP install CD. Got another one you can try?

Yes, Windows haters, have a field day, but unless Linux can learn to play my games, I'll be using it.

Calm the hell down. Some people use Linux. Lots of people use Windows. No shame in either one.

Something else to consider, you might have a bum XP install CD. Got another one you can try?
Yes, Windows haters, have a field day, but unless Linux can learn to play my games, I'll be using it.

Calm the hell down. Some people use Linux. Lots of people use Windows. No shame in either one.

A lot of people play games in Linux using wine. UT3 officially supports *nix, and Blizzard provides specific instructions on how to optimize your experiance in WoW under wine. But yeah, for ease nothing beats windows.

But i'd definitly try troll's suggestion first, it seems to be the cheapest ;)

In the weirdest happening of the day, I booted back up with the XP disk in, forgot to change the bios, booted into Windows... and it WORKED. Wtf?

It may be windows updated your hal but your motherboard can't support the update. Go to your motherboard's web site and see if you can update the bios. I've fixed more than a few problems that way.

And for those talking about playing games in Wine this little program got me going with windows games on slackware!