Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity

Help determining issue with connectivity

6 posts in this topic

How can I tell if I'm having sync issues with my DSL connection? I'm concerned with the modem properly syncing with the central office that has the line running to my house. A technician was here the other day after we had a horrible thunderstorm which completely knocked out our internet, but all they did was replace the carbon caps on the line coming in. I suspect sync issues since the connection is not stable in terms of both speed when it's online and maintaining a constant uptime. Right now it seems to be fine, but throughout the day since the storm hit the connection will drop frequently. Any advice would be helpful, I want to be sure I know what the problem is before calling them back because they may charge a fee if I have them change my data card at the central office.

My DSL provider is ATT, the technician verified that everything on our end is working properly. (they checked the lines in the house) I know the router and modem are configured properly. When the internet is down the network still functions so there isn't an issue with the computers communicating to one another via the router. The sync light on the modem does flash red when the issues occur which is why I believe there's an issue that may cause trouble consistently if it's not fixed. If any other information will be helpful just ask, that's all I can think of that's relevant.

I don't know what kind of router AT&T uses but the Verizon router I have is a Westell model. Whenever I have any issues with my DSL I log into the router and look at the status pages. I get everything from connection speed to upstream and downstream signal strength in dBm. Basically, I can tell Verizon what is wrong on their pole before they even know.

Maybe one of your phone dsl filters took a hit too.. might want to unplug em just to see if it makes a difference when the modem is acting up.

well if it was a sync issue you would see the sync/dsl light on your modem blinking... If you are losing sync, and the telco says its in your house The best way to test would be to disconnect everything from every phone jack in your house, then plug your modem in as close to the phone network as possible. If you have a NID mounted on the side of your house you can open it up with a quarter or a fat screw driver and there should be an orange test jack that you can use. If you have a Remote Terminal, like me, you just have to find where the phone lines come into your house and use the first jack.

Some common things that can use telephone lines that people forget to check when trouble shooting dsl sync issues

water meters

Alarm systems

fax machines

answering machines

doorbells

well if it was a sync issue you would see the sync/dsl light on your modem blinking... If you are losing sync, and the telco says its in your house The best way to test would be to disconnect everything from every phone jack in your house, then plug your modem in as close to the phone network as possible. If you have a NID mounted on the side of your house you can open it up with a quarter or a fat screw driver and there should be an orange test jack that you can use. If you have a Remote Terminal, like me, you just have to find where the phone lines come into your house and use the first jack.

Some common things that can use telephone lines that people forget to check when trouble shooting dsl sync issues

water meters

Alarm systems

fax machines

answering machines

doorbells

I had no idea a water meter or doorbell could interfere with sync issues, that's pretty cool. The issue did turn out to be the data card, ATT told me I was sharing the same card with too many people, as the technician suspected, and they replaced it. It seems to be working fine now. I'm going to do research on the doorbell and water meter thing as that's pretty amazing to me lol