Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

Boards back open to the public!

30 posts in this topic

After sitting on the decision for 24 hours (which conveniently occured over April fools day) we have decided to open the forums back up to the public. ;)

I hope that at the very least, it made some of you think about the possibility of this happening. Remember, these forums are what YOU make of them. If the regular posters who have been suggesting that we lock the forums down permanently think this will help, you might want to reconsider. For those of you who are new and/or post nothign but off-topic nonsense and internet memes, you should also consider whether or not you belong here.

There are two ways to lower the "NOISE" in the forums. To make the "noisy" people post better or to drown them out with better posts of your own. Locking down the forums and letting the "noisy" people really have that much of an affect on the forum would be a big mistake.

I hope to see everyone posting again! This is a relaunch of the BinRev forums and a great excuse to start fresh!

So I payed the $20.00 for nothing!

I'm just kidding. So what would have happened if someone tried to pay the 20 dollars? Would there have been a message informing them it was a joke before or after they payed?

Seriously, I don't think this is something to consider for real :(

Far less posts on the forums during that day.

Just a curiosity, have some people paid the 25$ to become and Agent of the Revolution because of that April's Fool?

ansichart: it is 25$, not 20$, and the Agents of the Revolution paid account is not a joke. The joke was to make believe everybody had to pay.

I thought it was funny... although the internet was completely useless yesterday. The whole thing was made of cheese.. I think Maddox had the right idea.

I did learn that I click my binrev book mark way too much during the day, even when i know there is nothing there.

2 people paid the fee but both knew that it was for April fools and wanted to donate anyway.

I haven't donated because I simply don't spend enough time here to contribute money. I enjoy these forums and find them informative (sometimes) and have a lot of old friends here. Frankly, if I don't contribute enough, it's because I don't have time. Most of us who work in the real world and tie ourselves up on projects in our free time don't have a lot of space for casual browsing and trolling the Binrev forums. The ones who spam and turn Binrev into 4chan have no lives and obviously more free time than they know what to do with.

I haven't donated because I simply don't spend enough time here to contribute money. I enjoy these forums and find them informative (sometimes) and have a lot of old friends here. Frankly, if I don't contribute enough, it's because I don't have time. Most of us who work in the real world and tie ourselves up on projects in our free time don't have a lot of space for casual browsing and trolling the Binrev forums. The ones who spam and turn Binrev into 4chan have no lives and obviously more free time than they know what to do with.

I am in this same boat.

Unfortunately I spend a lot of time with projects that pay (work stuff).

However I would like to say, I truly appreciate binrev.com and all that stank and the ddp has offered. Thanks for keeping the forums public so people that don't always offer a lot, still have a chance to offer up something meaningful.

I spent several hours preparing a very nasty email addressed to StawnkDawg, until I realized it was April Fools.

Some of us are poor bastards, such a move would be clearly a sort of segregation... you shouldn't have to be rich just to be a part of this community.. ;)

If I had $25 right now, I'd buy myself something too eat.. :roll:.. definitely wouldn't end up in Stanks wallet.

very cute haha you got me, i was determined to never visit the site or irc again then i realized today was apr 2nd and revisited har har but yeah i'm gonna sign up to be an agent but i better get a shell with it!

also found this http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/superpiipii.html

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/promot...ing/default.htm

Edited by JimmyRidge

very cute haha you got me, i was determined to never visit the site or irc again then i realized today was apr 2nd and revisited har har but yeah i'm gonna sign up to be an agent but i better get a shell with it!

also found this http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/superpiipii.html

Hehe, I found that link yesterday in the Agents section of the forums ;) thanks to stankdawg

I really wouldn't mind paying the fee. The downside is that hardly anybody posts in the SE forums anyway, so I couldn't see myself getting my money's worth.

Because I know jack about hacking, and I'll admit that.

I spent several hours preparing a very nasty email addressed to StawnkDawg, until I realized it was April Fools.

Some of us are poor bastards, such a move would be clearly a sort of segregation... you shouldn't have to be rich just to be a part of this community.. ;)

If I had $25 right now, I'd buy myself something too eat.. :roll:.. definitely wouldn't end up in Stanks wallet.

You don't have to pay in order to become an agent or a senior agent. It can be earned through contribution to the forums. Paying is simply the fastest and easiest way to get it.

You don't have to pay in order to become an agent or a senior agent. It can be earned through contribution to the forums. Paying is simply the fastest and easiest way to get it.

I have a 5 star rating and I've been here awhile, may I be considered?

This forum probably has one of the best 'self regulating cultures' I know of, off-topic aside.

Edited by Swerve

Well it got me. I was so pissed! :pissed: It was sad. It wasn't until that night that when my sister told me it was April Fools Day that I knew it was a joke. (Least I hoped it was a joke. lol) I come here way to often. If I am still around after college then I will gladly donate. Till then keeping the forums open is the best idea. :D

But with Binrev down I started to branch out to fill the gap. Here is a site I found (among alot others) http://hackthesch00l.6x.to/ Nothing special but the virus things are pretty cool and a BI**H to get off a computer. (put on an old one of mine to test. )

And that Pii Pii Brothers game is hilarious, some of the stuff they come up with.

So I payed the $20.00 for nothing!

I'm just kidding. So what would have happened if someone tried to pay the 20 dollars? Would there have been a message informing them it was a joke before or after they payed?

not only would they be April's fool, but also April's bitch. ;)

I didn't realize it was an April fools joke cause I first saw it a half hour before midnight on 3/31

Ya got me. You eastern time dudes!

Glad the forums are back up for the public.... it was really quiet in here... kinda nice... but kinda boring.

those of us that have been around for a while were expecting something and knew what this was right away. its kinda funny to see people getting punkd'. the #420 shout out was a nice touch too.

Ever since the days of Switchblade, I've been waitin for this. :P

Well it got me. I was so pissed! :pissed: It was sad. It wasn't until that night that when my sister told me it was April Fools Day that I knew it was a joke. (Least I hoped it was a joke. lol) I come here way to often. If I am still around after college then I will gladly donate. Till then keeping the forums open is the best idea. :D

But with Binrev down I started to branch out to fill the gap. Here is a site I found (among alot others) http://hackthesch00l.6x.to/ Nothing special but the virus things are pretty cool and a BI**H to get off a computer. (put on an old one of mine to test. )

And that Pii Pii Brothers game is hilarious, some of the stuff they come up with.

http://hackthesch00l.6x.to/

HackTheSchool

Welcome to Illegal paradise

Is it me, or this website's name sounds very script kiddie?

1337sp34k and promoting illegality as being cool, hum...

Edited by Aghaster

The money you donate wouldn't be going into Stanks wallet! Hopefully everyone has read that he needs the money to support server costs! Last I heard it was ~$300 per month? Am I right??

I thought for sure that nobody would be tricked by this. Anyway, it was clever and on any other day of the year I would have fallen for it. Oh and savant pwning the Cisco office was priceless. ;)

http://hackthesch00l.6x.to/

HackTheSchool

Welcome to Illegal paradise

Is it me, or this website's name sounds very script kiddie?

1337sp34k and promoting illegality as being cool, hum...

It was linked to the page I was on and I was bored. Besides, some of the info is actually useful. (Well, for a programming noob.)

It was linked to the page I was on and I was bored. Besides, some of the info is actually useful. (Well, for a programming noob.)

Out of sheer, morbid curiosity, I spent a few minutes checking out that website.

After the idiot-blindness wore off and my eyesight returned, I came back here to post a warning. Don't waste your time. There is nothing of value to be had there. It's just a bunch of teenagers who seem to be copy/pasting whatever came up when they googled for "hacking text files" (because someone told them that text files were good sources of hacking info). I was actually surprised to find that a simple ftp client could get the shadowed password file... except that the details of how you actually pull it off were a little hazy after the first couple steps ("find a server or domain to hack into" and then "get a valid username and password; I assume if you're reading this, you know how to do that").

I think I died a little inside.

Stay here instead; better yet, get over to the library and take a look at some of the dead tree stuff. :)

Out of sheer, morbid curiosity, I spent a few minutes checking out that website.

After the idiot-blindness wore off and my eyesight returned, I came back here to post a warning. Don't waste your time. There is nothing of value to be had there. It's just a bunch of teenagers who seem to be copy/pasting whatever came up when they googled for "hacking text files" (because someone told them that text files were good sources of hacking info). I was actually surprised to find that a simple ftp client could get the shadowed password file... except that the details of how you actually pull it off were a little hazy after the first couple steps ("find a server or domain to hack into" and then "get a valid username and password; I assume if you're reading this, you know how to do that").

I think I died a little inside.

Stay here instead; better yet, get over to the library and take a look at some of the dead tree stuff. :)

Well binrev wasn't here. Scary whats out there huh? :D

Well, I feel cheated. I donated a few weeks ago so I didn't see anything about the April fools joke.

But it's good to have ya'll back. ;)