Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Rainbow Tables Question

10 posts in this topic

I am using passwords pro and get this error:

Length of hashes in "C:\Documents and Settings\admin\desktop\r.rt table doesn't match length of hashes selected for attack.

I am new to making hashes. I am using winrtgen to make them. Can someone explain please.

uum buddie I think someone hasn't told you this or not but it takes years using many super computers to make even a few Gb of rainbow tables so you might wanna consider just using ones you find online. but thats just my advice, i do however give you alot of credit for trying tho.

At a glance, it looks like whatever you have set as the hash type is different from the format of your tables. For example, if your tables contain MD5 hashes, it may be that the program is looking for SHA1.

Just a guess... I've never used whatever the program is that you're using so it might be something else entirely. You could also try asking on the Oxit.it forums: http://oxid.netsons.org/phpBB2/index.php

I think someone hasn't told you this or not but it takes years using many super computers to make even a few Gb of rainbow tables so you might wanna consider just using ones you find online. but thats just my advice, i do however give you alot of credit for trying tho.

Nah... rainbow tables can be generated on a home computer. That is, in fact, why they have programs out there to generate them in the first place!

At a glance, it looks like whatever you have set as the hash type is different from the format of your tables. For example, if your tables contain MD5 hashes, it may be that the program is looking for SHA1.

Just a guess... I've never used whatever the program is that you're using so it might be something else entirely. You could also try asking on the Oxit.it forums: http://oxid.netsons.org/phpBB2/index.php

I think someone hasn't told you this or not but it takes years using many super computers to make even a few Gb of rainbow tables so you might wanna consider just using ones you find online. but thats just my advice, i do however give you alot of credit for trying tho.

Nah... rainbow tables can be generated on a home computer. That is, in fact, why they have programs out there to generate them in the first place!

Correct on both counts.

1) You are trying to check the wrong password hash type to the wrong rainbow table. Each rainbow table is generated with a predetermined type. If you create the giant MD% rainbow tables, they can only be used to crack MD5 passwords. If you want to crack some other kind of password algorithm, you will need to generate the appropriate rainbow tables. You should use ones that are already generated (no use in reinventing the wheel) for your hash type and if you cannot find existing ones and need to generate one on your own, make you that you know how the password is encrypted and the character set (if possible) generate the appropriate rainbow table type.

2) It does not take supercomputers at all. This is just false. Certainly they take a long time, but it depends on the power of your computer. More memory and faster processor make the process of CREATING the tables much faster. A fast computer with a lot of memory can generate rainbow tables for a very weak hash in as little as a couple of weeks or less.

You might also want to listen to episode #148 of BinRevRadio for more detail.

Sorry just quickly, does this mean you can create NT Hash tables which are not only rare but vey expensive to buy?

Sorry just quickly, does this mean you can create NT Hash tables which are not only rare but vey expensive to buy?

Winrtgen is a graphical Rainbow Tables Generator that supports LM, FastLM, NTLM, LMCHALL, HalfLMCHALL, NTLMCHALL, MSCACHE, MD2, MD4, MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160, MySQL323, MySQLSHA1, CiscoPIX, ORACLE, SHA-2 (256), SHA-2 (384) and SHA-2 (512) hashes.

What hashs are used on a phpbb3 & vB forum, anyone know?

Also can any link me where I can get the hashes from, I am looking now but if someone posted would make it easier.(No Torrents) :D

If there is a FTP link or a rapidshare mirror thats preferred.

Edited by snapple

You can do that one yourself. I found the answer to your first question inside of about 2 minutes. :)

If the hashes are unsalted, Google could also help you find the plaintext, as has been previously demonstrated. If they are salted and you don't know the salt mechanism I fear even RTs won't be all too useful.

I got the salts. Well I looked on google just seems there is 200 downloads which you got to do one at a tme :huh: