Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Wireless Signal Improvement

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a wireless router that is placed in my basement. I like to use my laptop in my room, which is upstairs. The signal strength usually sucks. Sometimes it stays fine for hours, but sometimes it just keeps disconnecting and then I have no signal for some time. I have changed the position of the router, putting on top of the desk, on a pile of books, with the antennas up. I've changed the frequency used by the wireless router, but couldn't found one that really made a difference. I guess this problem is quite common, and I'm looking for a strong solution to the problem. Any tips, hardware, anything that would improve my signal strength in the house? My router is a Linksys WRT54G. thanks for your help

There used to be tricks you could do with an aluminum can of sorts, something along the lines of using an N connector inside the can to pick up WiFi within like 2 miles or so its great last i heard. Actually heres a youtube video on how it works or how its made.

link ---->

If you have a 2.4 GHz wireless phone, or your neighbor does, it could be interfering with 802.11G. Put more distance between them if you can. But, we use a Uniden phone at my house and it is strong enough to stay connected up to a quarter of a mile from the base station. If I'm online with my Nokia 770 sometimes I'll get disconnected and I've even had my Nokia cause the phone to disconnect.

If you have a 2.4 GHz wireless phone, or your neighbor does, it could be interfering with 802.11G. Put more distance between them if you can. But, we use a Uniden phone at my house and it is strong enough to stay connected up to a quarter of a mile from the base station. If I'm online with my Nokia 770 sometimes I'll get disconnected and I've even had my Nokia cause the phone to disconnect.

yeah, I have a 2.4GHz phone... and it does hurt the signal's strength when it is in use. My router only allows me to choose frequencies in the 2.4GHz range, so I'm kinda screwed

There used to be tricks you could do with an aluminum can of sorts, something along the lines of using an N connector inside the can to pick up WiFi within like 2 miles or so its great last i heard. Actually heres a youtube video on how it works or how its made.

link ---->

I've just found

on youtube, in the related videos. Do you think it is legit?

Cantennas really do work. I've seen pringle cans, soup cans, coffee cans, etc. You can buy cheap kits on ebay, give it a try. Fun, easy diy. Try a high powered pcmcia card w/ extemal jacks. Microwave ovens also interfere with the 2.4 spectrum and can often make it go silent is there is one in between you and the router. In that case reposition. I believe the suggested firmwares also allow you to boost your routers output(mA).

To answer the original question, you might also look into replacing the stock firmware on your router with one of the modded ones, such as DD-WRT. I have not used them myself (I don't have a compatible WAP), but I have read that some will allow you to boost the power output. That may be a quicker way to get the signal up into your room. (Also, your neighbors will appreciate it.) :)

link ---->

I've just found

on youtube, in the related videos. Do you think it is legit?

Yes this is very legit and my friend across the street tried some directional WiFi before similar to this and yes it works

If you were to extend your WIFI for two miles I hope you have some decent security setup.

just some simple tin foil behind the antenna, in the direction of the laptop works well too

I've made some cheap antennas (the WindSurfer model) to direct the signal, and it works fairly.

However, I'd like a better solution, like changing the antennas. My router is a Linksys WRT54G, any ideas where I could buy replacement antennas, and which one to choose?

im sure a couple of 10dbi or higher antennas would do you nice. i would just go with omni directional so that youll have a wider coverage range, unless yuo want to point some directionals right into your room.

I switched from the stock little anntenna(like 2 or 3 inches) to a 9db omni on my di624 and made a noticeable increase but i wouldnt call it a big difference.

Directionals would be kind of cool. You'd get the best possible signal and outsiders would have a very hard time picking up your signal. You'd probably end up messing with it though everytime something got bumped or moved. Also if there was outher wifi users they might have a harder time getting signal.