Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nagant

Packets in Simple English

7 posts in this topic

How do I understand what a packet says? I couldn't find a "translate" option on my packet sniffer or any guides from Google...

Also, I tried entering the data into a hex to ASCII translator, but all of them (found on Google) kept using ?'s, only about 6 out of 54 (random numbers) were letters.

I decided to take up a challenge in Perl to re-learn some of it, but I can't remember how I used to edit/read packets... :wacko:

Could you post one of your packets here so we could take a look at it? Also you may want to try Wireshark, it organizes the packets it captures in a very easy-to-follow interface.

-edit-

Reading vector's post

-edit again :P-

Looks like it's what I'm looking for, download NetResident now.

Edited by Nagant

Looks like a neat program... if you have $99.00.

Too bad downloading it off bittorrent is illegal, so we would never do that.

EDIT: Eh can't find it on any of the quick torrent sites... Guess I can ask for work to pay for it.

Edited by friendless

The trial/evaluation version was enough for me, not exactly what I wanted but it lead to finding the specific packet I was looking for, with hardly any extra work.

I can only get netresident to pickup packets from myself, no one other on the VLAN im connected to... which I know there's traffic going through.

Using a suitable WiFi card and connected to the VLAN

Wireshark is working perfectly.

Any ideas?

Mkay, I guess that makes sense, you have to run it either at some kind of a server position or perform some kind of an ARP type poisining so you get the traffic...

However I can do that with ETTERCAP for *nix and get more functionality it is a nice utility for windows however... not just for sniffing information but better regulating certain traffic.