Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xantr3x

Undeleting Entire Folders

5 posts in this topic

I was recently allowed to pirate a hard drive from an old computer and, lo and behold, there was 10gigs of music on it. Today I was clearing out the drive of what I didn't need, using Shift+Delete, when I accidentally deleted the music. I have an undelete application, but it can't pull back entire folders, only one file at a time. As this music is meticulously sorted by artist and album, there are easily 200 folders. How can I pull back the entire folder?

Recurva is a free recovery util for Windows (by the guys that brought you CCleaner) that has among other features the ability to sort and select by folder.

Do NOT install to the same drive you wish to recover from, and do not recover to<->from the same drive, use a secondary harddrive.

shift delete dumps it from memory too so it is going to be hard to recover.

you could try EnCase, its out there on the web for %r$e

It might not be too easy to do. From my own bad experiences I'd say you should count on recovering the files, then maybe make a script to create the proper file names from the ID3 tags and sort them that way (there are libraries for most languages to read in ID3 tags, depends on what you're comfortable with; I'd venture guessing that something already exists to do this).