xof7

Information on Certifications

13 posts in this topic

I've started going to college after recently graduating from high school. I recieve a number of offers on certifications from numerous companies monthly. I recently recieved one from a company called "TestOut".

In the most recent brochure that they sent me, they are offering "9 IT Certifications for free when you buy a MCSE/MCSA certification suite for $1995."

So basically if you pay the $1995 for the MCSE/MCSA, you get:

MCTS

SSCP

CISSP

CCNA

A+

Network+

Security+

Server+

Linux+

I assume that the A+ through Linux+ are CompTIA however they only mention CompTIA with the Server+ cert.

What have other people payed for there MCSE MCSA etc?

I'm curious as to what timeframe I would have to complete the other certifications. I also am curious if it is just the education materials or if it comes with testing.

I'm curious as to what timeframe I would have to complete the other certifications. I also am curious if it is just the education materials or if it comes with testing.

They just send you the additional training materials. It would be up to you to study up and take the test. It's also probably overkill... chances are you're not going to use most/all of the others (because why would I bother with A+ if I were an MCSE or CISSP???).

This is just an advertising gimmick to get you to spend a couple thousand bucks on their training package... they just word it that way to make it look like you're getting a crapload of free stuff. If they just advertised it as giving you TEN different certification training packages for $2000, any sensible person would say, "Oh HELL no. Math isn't that hard. Just give me ONE for $200, jackass."

But... I'm not certified in anything. So I may be just talking out my tookus. Who knows?

http://www.testout.com/keycode/w2003a.htm <- what I am assuming you are referring to.

Some basic information:

- MSCE 2003 component exams are all pegged $125 USD each at any Prometric site in North America (Vue no longer offers MS exams, similarly Prometric no longer does Cisco certs <_< )

- The MS Press MCSE books are your best bet for technical study material

- If you like video tutorials, CBT Nuggets, Winstructor and LearnKey offer a nice overview, but you'll still need the Press books to cover the materials they miss.

- Even if you know the ins and outs of Exchange or ISA, there are many features in 2003 (and now 2008 with the MCTS) that the average administrator doesn't use - at least often enough to answer the exam questions without a bit of review.

To obtain your basic MCSE @ 7 exams (4 core, 1 client, 1 design, 1 elective) is $875 @ $125 per exam without vouchers or rewrites (use a MS 'second chance' voucher code prior to scheduling if needed).

Comptia Security+ as your elective would be ~$125 more (~$250 exam if I recall).. less if you have some of the exams already.

I would suggest getting your employer to pay for your exams and training materials, might be worthwhile for you to buy the MS Press books just so you have a copy around to read at your leisure..

Avoid the TestOut package unless you really feel the need, especially as I don't see any information about their package pertaining to discount vouchers for the MCP exams.

Edited by jabzor

im working on the same stuff i had to drop out of high school t o take care of my mom for acouple years so now im just getting back in. still working my ass off but theres a study guide for A+ Network+ and Security+, http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3957418/A___Ne...sktop_Quick_Ref

theres some other good ones on pirate bay also. good luck.

im ghoing to mostlikey go into the army, to be stationed in germany or UK. once i get those 3, i might go after my CCNA, and Linux+. but my linux skills have gone down after afew years, alot.

contact me if you need anything or find anything gut.

-Circuit Out.

I'm also looking on getting cert soon. I been studing on and off. it's hard when you have a family and work...

Do you have any college man? Consider an Information Science or Comp Sci bachelors if you can swing the cash, it'll really help, trust me.

Do you have any college man? Consider an Information Science or Comp Sci bachelors if you can swing the cash, it'll really help, trust me.

Sorry I don't have the cash for something like... I'm trying to find a good education place or a free site were I could learn from other security people.

Sorry I don't have the cash for something like... I'm trying to find a good education place or a free site were I could learn from other security people.

Indeed you have a very large community here that can probably answer any questions you have regarding the content you may run across preparing for these exams. I really recommend you drop the $$$ on the books at least, they are a valuable asset to have. However a lot of rich techs out there buy the books then exchange them at a second hand place for other books. Check your local area to see if someone has the right book test versions, if so you could very quickly save some cash. There may be someone in this forum who might have these resources already and may be able to lend you them to help you out.

MSCE 2003 component exams are all pegged $125 USD each at any Prometric site in North America (Vue no longer offers MS exams, similarly Prometric no longer does Cisco certs )

In the UK here I have just booked my MCSA/MCSE (first exam 720-90) and it cost me £90 so about $170 ish. That gave me a revision book, test cd (useless) and a 6 month trial of Win Server 2003 to practice on. (you can ring MS and blag a full edition quite easily)

I would suggest getting your employer to pay for your exams and training materials, might be worthwhile for you to buy the MS Press books just so you have a copy around to read at your leisure..

this is excellent advice, take heed!

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time though, I thought I could get through it quite easily but you'll be amazed what there is to learn!

Good luck for the future.

Edited by sshblack

MSCE 2003 component exams are all pegged $125 USD each at any Prometric site in North America (Vue no longer offers MS exams, similarly Prometric no longer does Cisco certs )

In the UK here I have just booked my MCSA/MCSE (first exam 720-90) and it cost me £90 so about $170 ish. That gave me a revision book, test cd (useless) and a 6 month trial of Win Server 2003 to practice on. (you can ring MS and blag a full edition quite easily)

Sorry, that $125 usd is is regarding Canada/USA the only places I book exams. In England MS exams are £88 gbp, while in Mexico they're only $80 usd.

Have a friend that completed the vanilla MCSE in HongKong before coming to Canada; the exams were $625 hkd (~ $80 usd).

There are a few cross-border restrictions:

Note: As of April 1, 2007, only citizens of India will be permitted to register for exams in our India test centers, and only citizens of China will be permitted to register for exams in our Mainland China test centers. If you have any questions, please contact Microsoft at mslindia@microsoft.com.

China and India are both $50 usd, due likely to the local economy.

Employers and IT professionals would refuse to pay any higher.

Exams in Zimbabwe for example are £56 gbp. :D

edit: Also note that the exam discount or rewrite voucher codes may only be valid for certain countries.

Oh, and here a link to a site where you can register (use a spam hotmail account) for a 20% mcp discount and a free 'second-shot' (no fee exam rewrite, in the event that you fail).

Edited by jabzor

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time though, I thought I could get through it quite easily but you'll be amazed what there is to learn!

Yeah man basically if you pull off some certs from the INTARWEBZ study the transcenders and pay attention to the explanations. See this is what I belive.... written in the Book of BayouBilly verse 10 chapter 5 under the "I.T A COMETH" section, knowledge is gained through hard work, money presents itself by having certifications. Therefore.... Get your certifications quickly because they will be valid for a number of years meanwhile you work your ass off to know everything you can pertaining to that cert. Get your knowledge of network infrastructure up and apply for a Job. Now if you have your CERT you can always request that your company send you on a refresher which is always good, shows them you want to keep up to date and fill any gaps or send you on a new certification course to extend your knowledge.

Meanwhile try to keep ahead by jumping into various forums such as this one, just so you have some extra info.

However..... if you get a job before your cert then that is fine, more than likely they will send you on training. Don't hesitate to ask them about training and don't expect that they must ask you if you want to go on training.

Breakdown:

-------------------------

Download Ebooks for MCSE and CISCO and whatever you think you are interested in.

(For MCSE) Download cert exams study through look at the explanations. Do all 500 questions in the transcenders until you can get 100% scores all of the time.

Schedule an exam every 2 weeks if you want or 1 per week for 7 weeks.

If you fail an exam do not stop taking them, just reschedule and keep the rhythm going. <---- I should take my own advice here.

Friday night..... Eat some pizza dude and relax.

Find a job.

Get married have babies.

Cisco:CCNA

Just study up, find some network simulators grab a sybex book and start following the tutorials. Learn to subnet until you can do it in a matter of seconds... It's really easy after you understand the patterns. Write down everything you do in your router so you have some form of reference.

Take exam!!!!

Friday night...... Eat some pizza dude and relax.

Find a job.

Get married have babies.

JOB:

Get job..... beg for training.

Get training.

Get test certs.

Do test certs.

Get certified.

Get job promotion possibly.

Get married have babies.

Oh missed the friday line cause FRIDAY night..... you will be in your workplace busting your ass looking at backup servers and wishing you didn't have a phone because your wife is calling and screaming cause the baby that you dreamed about needs diapers and it's 11pm and the backups are failing and a $MFT error just came up on your domain controller and your email server just said $%^& IT!!!!!, your boss is complaining because his blackberry is blue and his calender is not syncing with exchange meanwhile you have glued atleast 5 #$% IT buttons to your keyboard and you click your ruby heels and press all the buttons at the same time wishing you were in college.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

Yeah man basically if you pull off some certs from the INTARWEBZ study the transcenders and pay attention to the explanations. See this is what I belive.... written in the Book of BayouBilly verse 10 chapter 5 under the "I.T A COMETH" section, knowledge is gained through hard work, money presents itself by having certifications. Therefore.... Get your certifications quickly because they will be valid for a number of years meanwhile you work your ass off to know everything you can pertaining to that cert. Get your knowledge of network infrastructure up and apply for a Job. Now if you have your CERT you can always request that your company send you on a refresher which is always good, shows them you want to keep up to date and fill any gaps or send you on a new certification course to extend your knowledge.

Meanwhile try to keep ahead by jumping into various forums such as this one, just so you have some extra info.

However..... if you get a job before your cert then that is fine, more than likely they will send you on training. Don't hesitate to ask them about training and don't expect that they must ask you if you want to go on training.

Breakdown:

-------------------------

Download Ebooks for MCSE and CISCO and whatever you think you are interested in.

(For MCSE) Download cert exams study through look at the explanations. Do all 500 questions in the transcenders until you can get 100% scores all of the time.

Schedule an exam every 2 weeks if you want or 1 per week for 7 weeks.

If you fail an exam do not stop taking them, just reschedule and keep the rhythm going. <---- I should take my own advice here.

Friday night..... Eat some pizza dude and relax.

Find a job.

Get married have babies.

Cisco:CCNA

Just study up, find some network simulators grab a sybex book and start following the tutorials. Learn to subnet until you can do it in a matter of seconds... It's really easy after you understand the patterns. Write down everything you do in your router so you have some form of reference.

Take exam!!!!

Friday night...... Eat some pizza dude and relax.

Find a job.

Get married have babies.

JOB:

Get job..... beg for training.

Get training.

Get test certs.

Do test certs.

Get certified.

Get job promotion possibly.

Get married have babies.

Oh missed the friday line cause FRIDAY night..... you will be in your workplace busting your ass looking at backup servers and wishing you didn't have a phone because your wife is calling and screaming cause the baby that you dreamed about needs diapers and it's 11pm and the backups are failing and a $MFT error just came up on your domain controller and your email server just said $%^& IT!!!!!, your boss is complaining because his blackberry is blue and his calender is not syncing with exchange meanwhile you have glued atleast 5 #$% IT buttons to your keyboard and you click your ruby heels and press all the buttons at the same time wishing you were in college.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

1. MCSE

2. CCNA

3. Pass Tests

4. ????

5. Profit?