1337Noob

New Laptop Help! Please.

11 posts in this topic

I'm new to laptops, so I don't really know what I'm looking for. I have a general idea, but nothing specific.

If either you can tell me what to look for or take a look at these laptops and tell me which I should purchase, that would be very helpful.

ThinkPad

LAPTOP - HP - PAVILION

Sony Vaio Laptop

Toshiba Satellite Centrino Laptop

Acer Extensa 5620 Laptop Notebook

Toshiba Laptop/Tablet PC

Dell Latitude D810 15

I'm really looking for a used laptop, which is why I went to ebay & craigslist. Like I said before,you could either tell me what to look for.

It'd be nice to know what you want to do with it. Game? Surf the net? Word processing? Tune your car? What bells and whistles must you have and which ones could you careless about?

Matter of personal preference, I think. I tend to prefer the ThinkPad laptops, myself. (Although it looks like that one in particular is out.)

Really depends on what features you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend.

ThinkPads are rock-solid as far as PC-compatible laptops go. The construction is superior to what you'll find in most other laptops. Plus, slightly-older models are pretty cheap (I use a T40). The battery life is usually pretty good -- I used to get 6 hours per charge with my standard battery and power settings turned down (made the mistake of buying an eBay battery, though).

if it's a just for fun laptop....get the asus eeepc and install backtrack 3 beta lol. i would if i had the money...so comon...do it..let me live through you lol.

I'm weighing games too heavy, but once in a while I'd like to play.

Internet will be very big for me. Most everything is done online.

I'd like this laptop to teach me something about hacking. I've been thinking about wardriving...or walking.

I need a laptop or just another backup computer just in case my hack tests don't turn out good.

I go through alot of reinstallations. I mod the settings on the computer, seeing what works best for the computer.

Thing is, I don't really do anything on the computer as it is.

So I was thinking that a laptop would allow me to pen test and wardrive.

Learning to program is a goal of mine too.

Asus eeepc. only 300 bucks. Linux ready, wireless ready(for wardriving, wep/wpa cracking etc.) NOT FOR ANY GAMING.

i have an 11 inch laptop, the only thing that slightly annoys me is when i code on it, i find the screen a tad too small. that is definitely something that il

be considering when i buy my next laptop.

id try considering the mac book air very nice set up. comes with the new osx lepord.

How good is the Asus eeepc? I really just want a fast laptop that I can do stuff on.

May you guys just give me some things I should be looking for in laptops.