canr

Remote Desktop

8 posts in this topic

I want to use remote desktop. I have seen numerous tools and programs like Log me in. The problem is I want to find one that is the most secure and isn't to laggy.

Also is there something to log all ips that connect to it and can't be deleted remotely?

LogMeIn if you're looking for a quick/simple/free solution

Citrix if you wanna do serious stuff

VNC/RDP both require port forwarding and separate client applications so I don't even consider those.

as far as the logging, assuming you're using a standard soho router (something like a Linksys WRT54G) you can enable logging on it.

I want to use remote desktop. I have seen numerous tools and programs like Log me in. The problem is I want to find one that is the most secure and isn't to laggy.

Well, I don't know what the "most" secure is, but if you can get an actual RDP session (i.e. Windows Server 2000/2003), then you can run it through a SSH tunnel. The RDP protocol is pretty good, even over low bandwidth... and a SSH tunnel can be made very secure.

If the system you're looking to control doesn't have in-built RDP, then I like UltraVNC. Remote control will always be a bit laggier, though it is more bandwidth dependent. Also run this through a SSH tunnel; you can even get a datastream modification plug-in to require the proper key before a connection is allowed.

LogMeIn is pretty easy, and doesn't require any firewall tweaking to make it work. I've found, though, that at least one program doesn't run properly with it -- it always crashes out via LogMeIn, where it runs okay via RDP or VNC. I think it may be a display/driver issue, but something to be aware of depending on what programs you want to run across the session.

Because of BlackHatter's post, I ran into an unbelievably awesome program that has an unbelievably crappy screen capture program built into it, but it also has a ton of other sweet protocols. It's called SharK. Has anyone heard of it??

http://boredcoders.com/sharK/

Ya its really good to. I have that and Turkojan.

I'm interested in SharK and Poison Ivy for One-Click remote assistance services. I need a bit of practice because it doesn't like to work consistently on my LAN.

I like the look of Poison Ivy, but SharK is the only thing Ican get working stably.