alienbinary

using flv converters to circumvent country codes

4 posts in this topic

so against my better judgement, I've been browsing 4chan a lot lately. I admit it, I'm a bit of an addict. Regardless, on /b/, someone posts the following url: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=upvweQDrd5c

I didn't actually realize that there was a seperate "british" version of youtube, but then again, I'm not huge into the video networking sites. Regardless, I paste the URL into a new tab in firefox and I get this message:

"This video is not available in your country."

Double-ewe tee eff.

So either this was another anti-scientology video by anonymous that somehow got flagged out of the United States or it was something so bad that it needed to be restricted to an area code. Well, I really believe that regardless of the country you're in, you should have access to all information on this great internet, and this made me pretty mad. The chances of something meaningful being posted on 4chan were slim, but it was a matter of principle.

So if you ever run into this, you're probably thinking "I could just use a proxy." You could, but a lot of proxies strip out important code that would make youtubes video sharing engine run, many web based proxies disable javascript and we all know that proxies can make accessing any file slow as dirt.

Besides, using proxies is old hat. Time for new tricks.

So I searched google for "online flv converter" and after checking out 3 of the top sites, most of which were unable to resolve the UK url (don't ask me why), I stumbled across a 4th, keepvid.com.

Enter the URL in, the converter facilitates a transfer of the raw FLV to your desktop. rename the file from "get_video" to "get_video.flv" and open in your video player of choice. The screenshot attached is VLC, because it has a built in FLV viewer and I didn't have to convert it.

So what was the video, after all of that? The intro the fresh prince of bel-air.

Yup, the MPAA had it's hands in this regional censorship after all.

orisit.jpg

Enjoy.

so against my better judgement, I've been browsing 4chan a lot lately. I admit it, I'm a bit of an addict.

die in a fire.

an hero yourself.

do a barrel roll.

for windows i use

urlsnooper ( to ripp feeds slacker.com youtube etc .. ) and sometimes SWFDecompiler.exe( to ripp flash templates )

so against my better judgement, I've been browsing 4chan a lot lately. I admit it, I'm a bit of an addict.

die in a fire.

an hero yourself.

do a barrel roll.

I laughed my ass off at that.