Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kamek5

Linux OS Just for HAXING

18 posts in this topic

I found this linux distro with gigabytes of hacking tools compressed into a 700 MB Live CD. It is called Backtrack Linux! I am downloading it now to test out, and I will post back on how good it is! The wikipedia page says some good things about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BackTrack hope you like this distro.

Backtrack came out in 2006............. Kind of old to be honest.

I found this linux distro with gigabytes of hacking tools compressed into a 700 MB Live CD. It is called Backtrack Linux! I am downloading it now to test out, and I will post back on how good it is! The wikipedia page says some good things about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BackTrack hope you like this distro.

Wait..... Wasn't there hundreds of threads for about this already. Even about the third release.

HAXING! but yeah Backtracks old. There's also Auditor (older than backtrack), Helix (hard drive recovery), PHLAK, Whax, L.A.S Linux, Knoppix-std, F.I.R.E, etc, etc

And they all sucked. I still don't understand why people have the need to install these rather than spend some time actually learning something and installing a decent distro with the tools they need.

Or use the multitudes of Live CD utilities out there and BUILD YOUR OWN. You dont have to do a damned thing except specify what tools to put on the disc. Check out SLAX, http://www.slax.org/ Its a no brainer.

well most if not all of the mentioned distros are live cd's (with the intent that they'll be used to audit or fix problems in times of need, not really to be a solid every-day distro).

One could also argue that all the tools available on backtrack are available for any distro, so there really is no point to backtrack. The reason backtrack and other live recovery distros exist is to help you out of a bind, save you the trouble of installing a distro to the hdd that you may not use enough to warrant a full install, and to be a consistent, portable toolbox for performing a certain task. One particularly nifty thing that backtrack does is offer the option of copying the cd contents to ram (you'll be surprised how fast your computer can be... ;) )

The main reasons (that I can see) that people use pre-made live CD's instead of their own version of SLAX or something is that pre-builts are...well....pre-built and don't require you to specify/configure anything (good for noobs and people who don't necessarily know what they want out of their live distro) and therefore come with a support community and tutorials for getting stuff done with it.

That being said, I use backtrack (and whoppix before it became backtrack), Knoppix, and a few other live discs and find them hugely useful, especially when fixing things on other people's computers.

And they all sucked. I still don't understand why people have the need to install these rather than spend some time actually learning something and installing a decent distro with the tools they need.

Yeah, in all serious honesty I agree I think Backtrack is too un-stable and isn't really that overall good. ;)

There are a lot of script kiddies that moved a step up from their mother's Windows machine and SubSeven and want to try Linux to be true hackers (or so they think). Using BackTrack if you have no idea what's it about means you are very lame. I'm still curious why people that can't burn an ISO want to use BackTrack.

Just QUIT, you mothers...

There are a lot of script kiddies that moved a step up from their mother's Windows machine and SubSeven and want to try Linux to be true hackers (or so they think). Using BackTrack if you have no idea what's it about means you are very lame. I'm still curious why people that can't burn an ISO want to use BackTrack.

Just QUIT, you mothers...

And who are you targeting this too?

HAXING! but yeah Backtracks old. There's also Auditor (older than backtrack), Helix (hard drive recovery), PHLAK, Whax, L.A.S Linux, Knoppix-std, F.I.R.E, etc, etc

I love knoppix....dont you dare say thats its used by skiddies! (try's to make an intimidating grrrrrr, but ends up spluttering for a complete 114 seconds!)

If I run BackTrack in a VMWare session on top of XP, will it's tools still work? Such as be able to use my USB wifi adaptor to try crack my wireless router.

In my experience virtualized operating systems just use the host OS as a sort of hub to communicate with the "real" LAN. So yes, it should all work.

I do not think you will be able to use the wifi tools. I don't think vmware virtualizes wifi, even if you have it the vm thinks its ethernet. Even if it did you would still need drivers tailored to your hardware not just a generic vm wifi driver. So if it was possible probably no packet injection support.

I personally like the idea of the backtrack cd's. Gave me a good hands on example of what linux is capable of and another reason to try it. It also helped me learn about wifi.

Edited by bit_rot

VM does allow you to use wireless devices on the guest operating system but I think that in order to do anything other than use them as normal (such as injection) you need to have a usb based card or you need to actually bind that card to the guest rather than router it through the host.

I think of backtrack as a catalog of tools. I can browse through and try things out to see if its something I really want or need. Everytime I use it I try something new, or learn something new about a program I dont use often. Live CDs in general are like this, They'll never be tweaked as you want them for every day use. Unless you made your own everytime you changed your mind about something.

I think I saw a few references of using backtrack to introduce someone to linux, I think this is a bad idea. Ubuntu is really the way to be a missionary for windows users. Especially because if they like the live CD, they can just click the install button to get started for real.

VM does allow you to use wireless devices on the guest operating system but I think that in order to do anything other than use them as normal (such as injection) you need to have a usb based card or you need to actually bind that card to the guest rather than router it through the host.

I did not know the vmware had wireless support. I am still kinda new to it though. That sucks about the usb limitation because there are some nice pcmcia cards out there, i personally own a senao 2511.

I love knoppix....dont you dare say thats its used by skiddies! (try's to make an intimidating grrrrrr, but ends up spluttering for a complete 114 seconds!)

Quoted the wrong person there buddy. Although now that you mention it the people that say "HAXING" are either 14 or skiddies, usually both.