Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i th3 l3g3nd

sorry iam new and i wanted to know what is Old Skool Phreaking

5 posts in this topic

I really think this should be in Nubie HQ. Also have you tried googling the subject? Anyway this is what google's definition of phreaking is:

1."Hacking" the public phone network.

2.Phreaking is the hacking of the telecommunication systems. Phreaking is a specific subset of hacking. It is spelled with PH for PHONE.

3.The act of breaking into a telephone network, often for the purpose of making free calls or to charge calls to another person's account, for example.

4.Phreaking is a slang term coined to describe the activity of a subculture of people who study, experiment with, or explore telephone systems, the equipment of telephone companies, and systems connected to public telephone networks.

Source: www.psycom.net/iwar.2.html

ftp.fas.org/irp/congress/1996_hr/s960605a.htm

www.h-spot.net/threat_glossary.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

All I did was google "define: phreaking". Hope it helps.

Edited by Rambo

Moving to the Nubie section.

In a quick nutshell, old school phreaking had to do with using various equipment to emit tones over the phone line to manipulate Ma Bell into giving you free calls, etc. This was accomplished by a variety of tools, mainly home made 'boxes' (black box, beige box) which were simple circuits designed to emit various frequencies, such as coins *thunking* in payphones. It wasnt just boxes that were used, as one of the original Phreakers was a dude named Cap'n Crunch (Krunch?) who used a whistle he got out of a cereal box (cap'n crunch?) to emit tones over the phone line,a nd accomplished successful hacks that way. Im going from memory, from about 15-20 years ago, and I was just a boy then that read about this stuff,so.. The link in the previous post seems to be a great resource for more definitive information about the subject... Hope this helped and wasnt just overkill. I figured even though there were links, there wasnt really a proper short summary of the activity...