dual

BM2L

23 posts in this topic

Bell's Mind Markup Language (BM2L) is the shorthand method to describe common occurrences in scanning. It's a proposed standard and community input is imperative. Here's the current list:

CBCAD - Cannot Be Completed As Dialed

CBCAE - Cannot Be Completed As Entered

CBRYCA - Cannot Be Reached from Your Calling Area

DISCO - Disconnected

DTMF - Dual Tone Multi Frequency tones

NAYCA - Not Available from Your Calling Area

NIS - Not In Service

SIT - Special Information Tone

TTY - Teletypewriter tones

VM - Voice Mail

Please provide input for additions, subtractions or changes.

I have two right now:

- I think we should add 'HELO - Hello?' when the called party answers in a standard fashion

- I don't think we should add 'RO - Ring Out' as RO is not recognizable, nor is there context to make it such

Edit: Make that three:

- I believe scan entries should be in the format 'NPA-NXX-XXXX - DESCRIPTION'. This provides the full number for search tools like grep and provides standardization for entry into databases.

Edited by dual

Proposed lower case entries:

busy

carrier

fax

milliwatt

reorder

ring out

silent

Maybe I'll create a document...

what about

reorder

double ring

tone

Edited by Rpm

reorder's there, double ring definitely, and tone is generic enough to be included in general descriptions. I am creating a document, so watch for that, and everyone please continue to provide input.

Edit: I previewed my post and loved the false positive so much that I wanted to see if it rendered... and it did! I'm so glad this bored is smarter then me. Didn't catch those didja, bitch!

Edited by droops

reorder's there, double ring definitely, and tone is generic enough to be included in general descriptions. I am creating a document, so <Either I cannot spell or I am so unoriginal that I re-used a lame internet meme that has no value whatsoever to these forums and have been wordfiltered>ch for that, and everyone please continue to provide input.

Edit: I previewed my post and loved the false positive so much that I wanted to see if it rendered... and it did! I'm so glad this bored is smarter then me. Didn't catch those didja, bitch!

heh- in my original post , after tone it said- for something thats not a milli<Either I cannot spell or I am so unoriginal that I re-used a lame internet meme that has no value whatsoever to these forums and have been wordfiltered>t

but it said that dumb shit so I edited it out.

How about

VMS - Voice mail system (PBX)

VMB - Personal Voice Mail Box

VMM - Voice mail machine (answering machine)

I am reminded of the documentation from those old school programs, Toneloc and THC-Scan 2.0. You might use that as a reference and build on it from there.

also if you want DATU/SASS and extender.

How about

VMS - Voice mail system (PBX)

VMB - Personal Voice Mail Box

VMM - Voice mail machine (answering machine)

For VMS inside the () should list the type. something like VMS (audix)

I have a list I did sometime ago. I'll post it here later today as I'm stuck fearing the ice.

Updated:

CBRFYCA - Cannot Be Reached From Your Calling Area

NAFYCA - Not Available From Your Calling Area

(Bad on my part not to include the F.)

Added:

ACB - All Circuits Busy

Updated:

CBRFYCA - Cannot Be Reached From Your Calling Area

NAFYCA - Not Available From Your Calling Area

(Bad on my part not to include the F.)

Added:

ACB - All Circuits Busy

May I propose adding 1RTA, or talkline? I made a comment about it in one of my toll free scans. Quoting that: "I came up with my own shorthand for the toll free advertisements you'll see on this scan,and in so many other (too many) toll free exchanges. Weather car insurance, straight and gay phone sex, and even diets are being advertised, 99% of the toll free advertisement numbers seem to be run by the same type of machine that ring distinctively and only once. Also, these respond to DTMF by spurting out a string of around five DTMF digits, so they're pretty easy to identify. The resporg for these numbers seems to be Primetel. Anyways, I use 1RTA to abbreviate one ring type advertisement." I guess talkline would make a lot more sense, but they really all seem to be the same type. The only advertisements I've seen that are different are always really long, normally someone talking about how a product changed their life (think genie numbers).

I totally agree. talkline it is. I'll add it now.

For the error messages (i.e CBCAD, NIS, etc.) do you think you need to note if it's a male or famale, EAS style or similar. or recorded by an actual human?

Absolutely, an added description for errors and VM is essential. I added it to the standard.

I also added DATU, quiet term and more example numbers. I improved the writing and formatting as well. I was thinking of adding a "pitfalls" section - fast busy vs. reorder, ring out instead of RO, use of HELO and "unknown" - to help users. What do you think?

Thanks to everybody for the input. I'm just now starting to implement all of the great suggestions and already the improvement is immense. It's the community's now and it's awesome.

http://dualisanoob.com/phreak/articles/bm2l.pdf

Absolutely, an added description for errors and VM is essential. I added it to the standard.

I also added DATU, quiet term and more example numbers. I improved the writing and formatting as well. I was thinking of adding a "pitfalls" section - fast busy vs. reorder, ring out instead of RO, use of HELO and "unknown" - to help users. What do you think?

Thanks to everybody for the input. I'm just now starting to implement all of the great suggestions and already the improvement is immense. It's the community's now and it's awesome.

http://dualisanoob.com/phreak/articles/bm2l.pdf

Hell yeah dual, I think the pitfall addition is necessary. Scans are often very ambiguous, and should be recorded as so. And thanks.

As I read in "exchange scanning part 2" by decoder, I thought bell's mind would become a database where people could upload their scans to be combined into a universal scan database. What happened to those plans?

As I read in "exchange scanning part 2" by decoder, I thought bell's mind would become a database where people could upload their scans to be combined into a universal scan database. What happened to those plans?

If I am correct, Scanaday is supposed to be such a project, which I am currently heading. However, I'm still waiting for dual to complete transfer of everything, and contacting him is proving to be difficult... :(

You can post your scanned numbers on Bell's Mind. There's no batch feature. One was proposed a long time ago but I couldn't get any traction with it. If people want it, I will work on it.

I really need to redo the UI but without suggestions from the users it's a bit difficult to build something that people want to use.

If you want to submit numbers, go to BellsMind.net, click frontend, register, and then log in. ThoughtPhreaker and some others are still posting numbers. There are over 30K in the database already.

Edited by ntheory

If you want to submit numbers, go to BellsMind.net, click frontend, register, and then log in. ThoughtPhreaker and some others are still posting numbers. There are over 30K in the database already.

I'm trying to imagine a unified database that would prevent me having to scan exchanges that others have scanned 10s or 100s of times, and are being shared. Even better, it could have a wiki-type format, or some way where people could manually add an update or comment to a previously scanned number. Sort of like numberzoom.com. But that goes against the hacker ideals of discovering on your own. I suppose that's why no one has done it yet.

BTW, what's the most number of rings that you've discovered something interesting? Some people say wait until 5, 7, or even 12. are they thinking that most people wait two or three rings, eg security through obscurity by having it answer after so many extra rings?

Back to the commercial world, I think there's a need for a customer/tech/etc... support website for toll-free or direct dial numbers for the most large corporations. Sometimes the numbers are hard to find on their websites.

Anyone else think something like that would be useful?

Edited by nintendo1889

I'm trying to imagine a unified database that would prevent me having to scan exchanges that others have scanned 10s or 100s of times, and are being shared. Even better, it could have a wiki-type format, or some way where people could manually add an update or comment to a previously scanned number. Sort of like numberzoom.com. But that goes against the hacker ideals of discovering on your own. I suppose that's why no one has done it yet.

That's exactly what Bell's Mind is except that it's not a wiki. Check out an exchange, see what has been scanned, and scan any numbers that haven't been scanned yet. You can even submit dupes if your findings are different than what's there.

Does anybody else wonder why this isn't taking off? It seems like a cool place to drop anything at least mildly interesting that you find.

Does anybody else wonder why this isn't taking off? It seems like a cool place to drop anything at least mildly interesting that you find.

I think it's the user interface. I'm willing to make it easier to use and more accessible. I just need input. Post any thoughts here or e-mail me at ntheory@bellsmind.net