sshblack

Python code

7 posts in this topic

I have just entered the very worrying world of programming.

After a few tutorials using Python I'm ready to playing with the code and seeing what happens.

I would like some open-source python code to study, emulate and adapt, in the hope of bettering myself in the subject. It appears that Google has some code (in it's "more" options) but it's all very distorted and not presented very well. Even searching for "open source python code" doesn't really come up with the goods. I seem to be repeatedly hitting hyperlinks and not getting to any end result.

Are there any links to pages you guys know of, that have Python code that isn't a tutorial, but is easy enough for programming beginnners to start getting their heads around?

Thanks in advance.

I understand that it is an impossible to fully understand the below examples after a few tutorials.

The way I learnt HTML was learning the basics and then getting my hands on source code and googling/researching every part I didn't understand. I never imagined I would fully understand the HTML code, but it gave me names/processes/frameworks that I didn't understand, then I could go off and learn about each bit. Maybe this isn't the best way to learn python, but until I get some good books I'm quite happy to be supplied the code, and learn to decypher it tiny piece by piece myself.

I thought this type of inquisitive challenge was one of the basics of hacking/learning?

I thank you for the examples, but instead of calling my endeavour "absolutely ridiculous" maybe just telling me what to do after python tutorials then? No-one seems to want to tell you how/what to do after the basics.

Anyway, again thanks for the code.

Take a trip to your local library, see what they have to offer? Or a used bookstore.

It's a tall order to try to learn an entire programming language from "tutorials"... unless you're already a competent programmer and are just looking to pick up the syntax of a new language. If you need to learn not only language syntax but also programming fundamentals (algorithms, flow control, object-orientation, etc etc etc...), then your best bet is to grab a book or even take a class at a community college in your area.

I have just entered the very worrying world of programming.

After a few tutorials using Python I'm ready to playing with the code and seeing what happens.

I would like some open-source python code to study, emulate and adapt, in the hope of bettering myself in the subject. It appears that Google has some code (in it's "more" options) but it's all very distorted and not presented very well. Even searching for "open source python code" doesn't really come up with the goods. I seem to be repeatedly hitting hyperlinks and not getting to any end result.

Are there any links to pages you guys know of, that have Python code that isn't a tutorial, but is easy enough for programming beginnners to start getting their heads around?

Thanks in advance.

w00t :)

Yes, yes, I do know of some open source python code you can adapt! It's the pywikipediabot framework that needs to be customized to the docdroppers page according to the to do list on StankDawgs user page. There are extensions to handle the conformity/template issues (more about that on my user page), but if the bot could be tweaked to take care of the articles that already exist, that would save a lot of work. If you could do this, that would be awesome and very much appreciated :D Please feel free to pm me if you need further information.

Edited by w3lshrarebit