ubernoob

Wireless Networks

13 posts in this topic

Hey,

anyone have a quick guide to breaching wireless networks so I can use their network for web browsing etc.

I have no interest in crashing anything - just jumping on for a ride.

Thanks.

There are literally thousands upon thousands. I think even youtube has some :P

I sure would hate a PM telling me the easiest way to do it on Windows and what software I would need.

Please do not send me any PM's.

;)

Well, with windows, it'll require a special wificard and special drivers that cost around $500+ to do alot of WIFI penetration test.

On a typical *nix system it'll require a WIFI card that is able to go into monitor mode and inject packets... I bought one a Wal-mart for $50 (Returned later to get my money back, I lost some elmers glue but gained an unshethed wifi card if you know what I mean)

Some chipsets work better with certain drivers than others.

I suggest looking into what's called, " Backtrack " it's a beautiful penetration linux live CD/USB that has alot of drivers and tools needed to mess with 802.11

If you're not familiar with linux at all it's alright, it's not too hard to learn the basics and if you have any specific questions you can post here.

With this setup you can do alot of things, such as pulling up a SNIFFER that grabs the packets right out of the air so you can examine and/or read them.

I believe what you're more interested in though is getting access to specific AP's that you denied access too.

Some AP (Access points) have broadcasting turned off to where you can't see it, there's scanners that pick this up either way, not that hard.

Some AP's have WEP or WAP authentication: Wep is an easy 2 minute crack while WAP depending on the level of it can be hard to easy to crack.

The typical household has a WEP if any at all.

WAP tends to be more used for big companys.

However once you're connected to the AP it all depends on alot of factors and goes into what we call, " Internal hackin' "

Lol sounds like you wanna use your computer in school lol. Been there done that. Well like everyone else has said. Deff google some things for tutorials for your own network. It isnt worth cracking another persons setwork. I did it in my school 3 weeks before graduation and they said they werent going to let me grad!!! and all i did was use my computer in school to go on trillian. lol. But i tested air crack on my network after some tinkering i got it to work on my network which has a hugh p word (not really lol) and i learned more bout net security. I actually got into trouble trying to view wireless feeds at a shopping store and they asked me to help secure it. I said talk to the 1337 squad cause i couldnt help but there is alot you can mess with at the time.

Hi, first of all I want to say Im REALLY REALLY extra stoked I found this site/forum!!! And I wanted to hijack this thread, since this is EXACTLY the subject I want to talk about. Now, just a *little* background...

I'm 31, my first computer was a Vic-20. Being dirt poor, I grew up playing with VERY cheap computers (vic-20, Coleco Adam, Spectrum), anyway, besides pounding out a few little programs in basic, it never went anywhere.. then, I went to a cousins house in Morgan Hill, Ca (near San Jose) and this cousins mom happened to work for IBM, and they had a PCjr. And Zork.. Well, needless to say, I was hooked. Eventually, as I got a little older, my father finally relented, and i got an Amiga 500! This led to MUCH BBSing, telneting over the local CSU's network, and GAMING!!! Ah those were the days. When Commodore shut down in America, I quit computers. I was pissed. And, I could not afford yet ANOTHER computer. Well, that brings us to where we are now..

I'm 31, like I said, and after about a 15 year hiatus from computers, Im back... I've got an AMD +2800, 2 gigs ram, 7800GS agp, 240 GB HD space, and a WLAN card (Atheros, not sure what version). Ive spent about 300 dollars on my computer total, and I love it. Im very much back into gaming.. and my newest addiction is, yup, you guessed it.. TORRENTS!!!

Well, about now you're saying to yourself "what the HELL does any of this have to do with this thread?!?!(if you're even still reading)", well... Like I said, Im dirt poor, but, resourceful.. Currently, I'm borrowing my internet from an unsecured network in my neighborhood. This network has been unsecured since Ive moved to this neighborhood (years, now), and Ive had old roommates and other neighbors that have borrowed this signal as well, so I figure the owners either dont have a clue, or dont care.. either way, Im not too worried about it,, But, there are MANY enticing stronger networks available around my house, that Im just itching to get into.. Im just having problems with some of the programs.

Im no unix pro, but i have been using Backtrack. Im not sure which one, but tis the one witth the splash screen at the beginning that says remote exploit, and the exploit is reversed, It may be 2, Im not sure. I have 3, but when i burned a copy, it didnt load up properly (bad burn, think), adn i have no more cd-rs to start again, so, Im either going to make it on a bootable flash drive, or just wait. The thing is, Ive gotten aircrack to catch packets, and ive gotten wireshark to work in windows as well, but i am having problems with the injection part, and in also habving problems with cain and abel. whenevr I try to activate the sniffer the program just quits on me. It doesnt exit, it just shuts down, and dissappears of the screen. Is this because fo my drivers?

I have a feeling it is my drivers. I have a cheapo 802.11g WLAN card I got from E-bay from some mainland chinese company for about 10 bucks. It works, I jyust dont know quite what kind of card it is, other than it is an Atehros (5001, 5002, 5003?). I just want to get one of these programs to work.. Ive gotten them all to work to some extent, but I have yet to crack a router with one... What Im looking for is some help.. Ive seen some of the tutorials, and while they are informative, they dont say what to do if things dont work exactly like they do on the tutorial.. Ive also experimented with vmware to see if I could get an instance of windowed unix in xp to make it easier, but i couldnt get that configured properly.. I have vmware, and a backtrack disk that is designed for use with vmware, but i couldnt configure it correctly. Like I said before, its been over ten years, and while I know a little about computers still, it seems like its just enough to get me in trouble (as in mess up my settings/drivers/etc...)

Ok, so, Ive looked into the homemade cantenna or pringles can antenna, will that do? Ive also seen the after market antennas on ebay, they say they add anywhere from 5-9 dbi, and there are models that either screw directly on to the card, or come with their own base. Im sure you know this. They're all relatively around the same price, as well (10-20 bucks), what would you suggest?

oh, and one more question. as far as the peek driver goes, how do I figure out which atheros card I have, and, when I install the peek driver, can I use it to do normal internet stuff, like torrents and web browsing? and, do I install it like a regular driver (uninstall, reboot into safe mode, install new driver, reboot)??? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Ok, so, after much teeth-gnashing and consternation, I've decided to forgo the whole peek/aircrack route, and just use Commview at a friends prompting, and, actually, the consternation was unnecessary (although teeth-gnashing is always useful). So, everything works. The program works, and Ive captured packets. Now, when Im in the packet capture screen, there are some that say WEP/WPA encrypted, and some that say UNencrypted (the packets are marked this way, individually, along the right side of the screen). So, anyone know what i should do next? Ive looked over the packets, and while they do have essid and bssid numbers in them, I dont think this is all that I need, right? Anyway, Im kinda of like a blind guy flailing around in a room full of sharp swords.. I desperately need someone to guide me.. thns in advance for anyone willing to help me out!!!

There are literally thousands upon thousands. I think even youtube has some :P

You are right on youtube you will find some video's ... the only thing is that they are old and they don't have current ones.

thanks vector. ok, so, i have a basic understanding of the principal.. catch enough ivs and you can crack the key, no prob. But, there is still all kinds of info that looks tantalizing in whats coming over now (the packets that say unencrypted, etc) am I just looking at the wrong stuff? I mean, it all LOOKS like there might be something useful in there, but maybe not for what Im trying to do. The thing is, I remember looking at a wireshark tutorial that was actually more to do with spoofing and injection (mac addys and stuff) so, I guess thats about all I can get out of what I am describing, yeh?