I-baLL

Wired Article on "Lil'l Hacker"

22 posts in this topic

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2008/02/blind_hacker

"Now the FBI thinks it has identified the culprit in the Colorado swatting as a 17-year-old East Boston phone phreak known as "Li'l Hacker." Because he's underage, Wired.com is not reporting Li'l Hacker's last name. His first name is Matthew, and he poses a unique challenge to the federal justice system, because he is blind from birth.

If he's guilty, the attack is at once the least sophisticated and most malicious of a string of capers linked to Matt, who stumbled into the lingering remains of the decades-old subculture of phone phreaking when he was 14, and quickly rose to become one of the most skilled active phreakers alive. "

Uh... wtf?

Are you guys fucking kidding me?

Seriously, are you fucking kidding?

I read this today and was astounded to see that they labeled him as "one of the most skilled active phreakers alive". Swatting is a criminal act not phreaking. Using spoof card? Shame on Kevin Poulsen for writing this crap.

"one of the most skilled active phreakers alive".

said the guy who ............

well we all know who he was and what he has done

To play the devil's advocate for a second, have any of you actually talked to Li'l Hacker recently? He's no angel, no doubt about that, but the way he tells it, he hasn't swatted in a long, long while, ever since there was a particular woman he heard no response from two weeks after the particular incident, he became increasingly worried, and swore never to swat again after it happened if he ever heard from her again, and, well, as it turns out, he did, and he's never swatted since. By no means am I saying he isn't afraid to be malicious, but the times I've talked to him, I've never heard him do anything all that bad. Actually, through a particular incident where I ended up being a little sloppy with what I was doing, he ended up getting my number. The next day, he called me up, and told me what I was doing wrong, and since that's happened, I haven't had my line mysteriously forwarded to the backdoor to the (new) manhole, or SWAT teams busting into my house.

Sound too good to be true? Maybe, but all I'm throwing out there is that there's more to him then the article mentions.

I've never spoken to the kid. Does he have skillz beyond Spoof Card? I'm just saying that terrorizing people with caller id spoofing is far from being the leet phreak that the article paints him out to be.

Yeah, he does -- he's pointed out some pretty cool shit before. To name one thing without going into too much detail, he's found his own way to spoof before (hint, it doesn't involve Asterisk), and he can decode touchtones by ear pretty well.

JOYBUBBLES HAS BEEN REINCARNATED.

Talk about in insult to a legend ...

Are you guys fucking kidding me?

Seriously, are you fucking kidding?

Yep just playin around.

Edited by CerealKiller

So much crap...

"When Beaulieu saw Matt dial into a party line just a few days after the hacker made a deal with the FBI, the phone cop called in to listen. He heard another phone phreak describe a new way to forward somebody's phone without their knowledge using a particular AT&T facility."

Thanks AT&T! I didn't know illegal wiretaps were one of the job perks.

Right or wrong Poulsen and his shitty writing have screwed this guy out of a fair trial. Arresting him when he turns 18 is looooow. Blind in jail? ....

Interesting no one is saying anything about ALL THE RATS. Bunch of butt hurt babies. After they hurt him he could have done the samething but he instead stood up FOR HIMSELF. +1 for that.

"the feds have invented a novel legal theory just for the blind hacker. Matt, they argue, violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act by persuading phone company workers to access their computers on his behalf. He hacked by proxy, using his voice instead of a computer."

After him, someone else is next and the most logical place for them to look is the people who ratted. Karma.

So much crap...

"When Beaulieu saw Matt dial into a party line just a few days after the hacker made a deal with the FBI, the phone cop called in to listen. He heard another phone phreak describe a new way to forward somebody's phone without their knowledge using a particular AT&T facility."

Thanks AT&T! I didn't know illegal wiretaps were one of the job perks.

Right or wrong Poulsen and his shitty writing have screwed this guy out of a fair trial. Arresting him when he turns 18 is looooow. Blind in jail? ....

Interesting no one is saying anything about ALL THE RATS. Bunch of butt hurt babies. After they hurt him he could have done the samething but he instead stood up FOR HIMSELF. +1 for that.

"the feds have invented a novel legal theory just for the blind hacker. Matt, they argue, violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act by persuading phone company workers to access their computers on his behalf. He hacked by proxy, using his voice instead of a computer."

After him, someone else is next and the most logical place for them to look is the people who ratted. Karma.

Do you even know the person in Question?

Have you ever talked to him?

have you ever been on the receiving end of a " SWAT " that was sent against people that were not doing anything?

Have you listened to countless hours of pointless bullshit on the partylines where he would just talk about how he was gonna do this and that and that he was the best ever?

This is not the first time he has been in trouble with the Phone Company ... There have been several times that I know of he was contacted, and made aware of what he was doing ... And yeah, he stood up for himself, and BOO people told on him ... But guess what ... In the long run ... After everything was done ... He still CHOSE to do it ... This would happen to ME, YOU, or anyone else that CHOSE to do it ... Noone had a gun to his head, or his family threatening to kill them had he not Done what they wanted ... SO yes and no Shit happened, and YES, he CHOSE to do it ...

No, I don't know any 17 year old boys, that must be your thing.

There's nothing in the article that mentions an innocent victim. Quite the opposite in fact. This is like mob guys killing each other. Who gives a shit? Maybe you think the girl was innocent because of what's between her legs? Wrong, she was there, she was part of it. Probably tried to do the same to him. The way it read, their all scumbags.

"how he was gonna do this and that and that"

If he DID then that's more then 99% of people isn't it? Plenty of big mouths that drone on but never have the balls or brains to follow through. Again, GOOD FOR HIM. The article listed a lot of shit done against him and his family.

"he was the best ever?""

Owned all of you so... What bothers you more? That he's so young, or he has a disability that he didn't allow to affect him?

Where's your moral outrage at Roscoff getting a deal? That's the travesty of justice.

"BOO people told on him"

Yes, for those people if they ever get caught for something. Prison isn't kind to snitches. Just look at your language. "boo"? "Told on"? Your like the swatters thinking this is a game. Those other people are going to PRISON FOR YEARS.

Where did I say someone FORCED him to do anything? I said the article didn't prove anything. They have a recording on the page and to me, that doesn't sound like a 17yo but I'll deffer to you, the expert on teenage boys.

Now I bet you want to have me shot. Boo-hoo.

P.S I hope he continues from JAIL.

Well I'll let you talk, because you seem to know it all from that article.

And wow I know 1 17 year old, and it is my thing? Hrmmm ... never knew that was how that worked.

YOU have no clue about alot of things then, and that is all better for you. But ohh well. I would never turn in anyone for any reason, and that has already been proven. So I have nothing to say about a snitch except ohh well, it will come back. As I said before, he knew what he was doing, so in the end he got the result he wanted. He got caught.

And yeah ... BOO ...

Hrmmm if I wanted to I guess I will quote you here ... " Now I bet you want to have me shot. Boo-hoo. " I would not have you shot, I WOULD shoot you myself. But I seriously doubt you would ever take it that far because your nerve only runs as far as your keyboard. But just in case you ever do feel like growing a pair and wish to attempt such an action ... Give me a time you will be in Detroit, and you can meet me in front of my apartment building at the following:

10 West Adams Ave.

Detroit MI 48226

And yes you can Map it and see it is valid, and it is public.

So go have fun now ...

No, you'll let me talk because your a coward. You couldn't match wits with a seventeen year old kid.

I don't need to know the blind kid or the old pedo Roscoff you cybered with. I've known enough assholes like them to know it was amateur night.

The article has no substance to it. It's nothing more then the accusations of his enemies. That's not proof of anything but a bunch of butt hurt losers who can't get back at him any other way. It sounds like you were either a criminal and met a bigger one, or a wannabe who thought it was all a game and met some mildly serious people. That's really what your problem with this is. He could do things you couldn't and didn't give a fuck. That makes him dangerous so now the fbi has to arrest him even though they haven't captured a single terrorist in six years. But that doesn't bother you nearly as much as the blind kid talking shit to other shit talkers.

What the FBI cares about is someone with a clue getting a hold of the ability to listen in on any phone. You could make millions with that. Or I don't know... LISTEN TO THEM. I think some fellows from the middle east would be interested in that capability.

You think these punks are really bad people?... Your either very sheltered or out of tune with reality. You don't drive around downtown Detroit in the middle of the night for no purpose do you? No, so why do you do it virtually? Because you think it's safe. If the FBI knows who these guys are, they know who you're. You can't play naive and give the, 'I have nothing to hide line' because you want to convict people based on magazine articles.

When they take the kid it will probably go down the way the first batch did, mass raids across the country. Where will most of their information have come from? Informants. I could say something about how easy it would be to set you up and how being exonerated later, after tens of thousands of dollars in lawyers fees doesn't really matter because of the seed of doubt it would put in people's heads and how it would affect your employment but I don't see any point.

These guys were to stupid to have capitalized on what they had. That Roscoff douche should be sipping a fruity drink on a beach somewhere set for life. Instead he's going to be eating cockmeat sandwiches for the next decade.

The real guys messing with the phone system, WORK for the phone system. But then that's not an easy case to make like the one against a blind kid with a big mouth.

If there's PROOF he broke the law then he should pay. But if they charge him as an adult with crimes he committed as a juvenile to get the adult sentencing that isn't right. If they charge him and their evidence is the word of a bunch of rat fucks who are only talking to save THEMSELVES, that isn't right.

If you want him in jail for years without proof that's no different then having him shot because when he gets out, his life will be over anyways. Hey maybe his mother can die while he's in prison so you'll have something to chit chat about. You've probably shit talked in private all sorts of things you WISHED but didn't have the balls or brains to do. It must have sucked to bite your tongue while he was talking. Now you get to yell and scream but when you had him on the line, you said nothing. Scared of a 17yo blind kid.... But then no one FORCED YOU to listen to the guy.

"told to stop"... WOW are you a women... Kid said, fuck you, make me and that's another +1! I hope his brother is saving comments. He sounds like he'll keep a mental ledger of who needs what later.

"YOU have no clue about alot of things then"

The only thing you know is party lines full of cripples, pedos and hicks. I'd never waste hours of my life listening to some jackoff drone on about he's top of the retard food chain.

If he told people he was the best, why do you think that was? To bait them of course. Doing nobodies gets boring, but if a challenger appears, that's exciting. After he destroys them he reaffirms himself as the big shot and his rep grows. It also keeps guys like you in the corner all bundled up with a warm cup of STFU. It's caveman shit. Juvenile at best. It matters to him because that's his world. Trying walking around your house blindfolded for an hour and see how that works you for you. Probably piss all over the bathroom floor.

S<Either I cannot spell or I am so unoriginal that I re-used a lame internet meme that has no value whatsoever to these forums and have been wordfiltered>ting someone is cowardly as fuck. BUT, as a blind kid with a gang of old men attacking him, what other recourse did he have? Sounds like he became a rat to but that didn't help him. If the fbi had got Roscoff YEARS ago, like they should have, then according to this article, the kid wouldn't have ended up this way. These old guys doing this to him and while they knew who he was and where he lived... I don't get that. Sounds like your boyfriend got a slap so you with your address posting nonsense... I don't know or want to.

Thank you for proving what a repressed, wannabe violent shit you're with that though. Keep fantasising that you matter and that someone would care enough to bother with you for anything more then shits and giggles. When you do such things as visit people, you don't do it over trivial matters, or offend, or announce it and certainly when you don't know who the other party is. But your just all talk.

This is long enough so I'll remove some comments and say, I'm going to split. Knowing there's informants around and that's ok with people makes my skin crawl. Marry your sister and become a cop supergrass.

BMF: As i know Majestic personally i would be willing to bet 100% that he would walk around Detroit at night by himself. I would. That is his address, he has had run-ins with johnny law, he has nothing to hide behind. Personally with all the talk about "butt hurt losers" i think your the one that likes little 17 year old boys. You keep defending them a awful lot dont you think ;) . Before you go on a rant and try to like Cerealkiller put it "troll" here some more. NO i am not a phreak and never claimed to be. But please for the love of god get your facts straight. If you want to write a book go for it. I dont want to read a rant thats 18^10 paragraphs long neither does anyone else.

kthnxbye

Well apparently I matter, because you keep responding ...

comment from Mitnick

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/m...ck-reviews.html

He gives Li'l Hacker 3.5 on a scale of 1 to 5.

IMHO : SE is not a part of phreaking, it's just something that may help in getting useful info

so readers should not take if for granted that every phreaker is using SE

BTW : I'm not sure if this link has been posted

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/long-hack...0229hacker.html

Edited by Havoc