Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lock0ut

Linux Certification

15 posts in this topic

If you don't mind, which linux certification are you referring to? Linux+ ?

I'm currently in a class that prepares you for the Linux+ certification. We're about half way through, and It so far seems like they want you to know the basics of how the system works and knowing basic commands. Not so much GUI stuff.

yeah the linux+ certification. I'm in a class that teaches linux right now. It's great, but I don't know if our professor is trying to push for the certification. So I might have to go out and do it on my own.

I am really interested in getting certified in linux. I was going to shoot for linux+ but then I read something about LPI certification being more respectable and of course more difficult. I would really appreciate some advice as well.

If you are looking for study materials go to thepiratebay.org or isohunt.com and check out a cbt/video training course called TESTOUT Linux+ . It has interactive tutorials and objectives as well as practice tests and a practice exam.

The voucher to take the test is around $230 though... which is the reason I haven't given it a shot.

(I don't advocate piracy despite my suggestion to go for a torrent ...well... I'm not responsible for your decisions.)

Edited by .solo

I'm currently in a class that prepares you for the Linux+ certification. We're about half way through, and It so far seems like they want you to know the basics of how the system works and knowing basic commands. Not so much GUI stuff.

Most *NIX classes will be taught from the command line. This is the core element to the understanding and comprehension of the *NIX operating system. A Linux certification is a good thing to have under your belt, but I know that most employers are more concerned with years of experience than a cert.

I took the class a few years ago, but I was preoccuppied with life and never took the test. From what I could remember it seemed like there was too much emphasis on one particular version of redhat, and memorizing default IRQs comptia loves IRQ's for some reason. Its probably been updated since then, but take the class to learn something, not to pass the test. When it comes time to pass the test, search around for brain dumps so you know what types of questions you'll be dealing with.

Its probably been updated since then, but take the class to learn something, not to pass the test.

My instructor told us that the Linux+ test is still on its first version.

Which is more valuable RHCE and other Red Hat certifications, or the ones from LPI? Also, what is the minimum age and qualification you need to have in order to write the exam?

According to my professor, she says that we will not be able to cover all the materials needed to successfully take the exam. But my though is... I want to take the exam when the actual Linux textbook is still fresh in my mind.

I'm not sure how soon I will be taking another Linux class.

Which is more valuable RHCE and other Red Hat certifications, or the ones from LPI? Also, what is the minimum age and qualification you need to have in order to write the exam?

I'd have to say any cert is a good cert. I think the only qualification necessary is the money to take the exam.

I guess that I don't have aa desire to obtain any Linux certs. All that I have is A+, Network+, MCSE, MCDBA, and Oracle Certified Associate.

Edited by t3st.s3t

yeah i've been looking into LPC linux professional certification http://www.lpi.org/

Linux Professional Institute Certification

LPIC they have like 3 tiers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPIC

i plan on taking the first test soon i also have a small list of pdf's/study guides i grabbed in my venture feel free to checkem out

http://hst.ath.cx/lpic

also i just realized after some research A+ (core beginning non OS speccific) is basicly the same as the first LPIC

i def need both of those

Edited by JimmyRidge

Just to let you know, Ken Fallon's doing a mini series (starts at episode 13) on LPIC right now on hpr. :)

I was at one point Red Hat certified, it has since expired. Any certification is a plus, Red Hat certifications even more so in my opinion because they are actual hands on exams. You can't just memorize a bunch of stuff and regurgitate it and be certified.

With that being said, at my current job when we interview someone, the certification on the resume helps somewhat to get you in the door. However, in the interview processes a couple of team members will go into the interview and basically give the candidate a "technical quiz." This usually weeds out the B.S. on the resume from what they really know.

For anyone still wondering "Should I do the Linux cert thing or not?", and this advice really only applies to people looking for a way to get their foot in the door for a job as a Linux admin or similar:

I've got the LPIC-I. I've never actually taken the Linux+, but I studied over some questions for it in preparing, and I found that the LPIC-I seems a bit more 'specific' on CLI usage and such. Another bonus the LPIC-I is cheapish ($100?). It wasn't super difficult, nor did I feel that in studying for it I didn't learn anything. It's probably easier than the RHCE (again, I don't know for sure), but I think it's a little more highly regarded than Linux+.

With that being said, I*used* to be a big proponent of using certs to get your foot in the door. Not so much now. I've sat on interviews with people who allegedly had the RHCE, only to see them turn to a deer in the headlights when asked simple questions like, "How would you restart most services in Redhat/Debian/whatever Linux?"

If you're comfortable with tinkering Linux and can solve the majority of problems on your own (or with some quick use of a search engine), why not join a distribution's development team? It's probably the same time investment as studying for a cert, it doesn't cost anything, and if you have zero work experience with Linux it's probably a better substitute than certification.

OR, look up a local user group and start helping there. Same thing.

If you don't have work experience, or are trying to bolster what little you have, volunteer work like this is way better than any cert.