Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biosphear

Phreaking Tool Box

5 posts in this topic

Today I was asked what should a phreaker have in his kit of tools. It made me think, what should we have in our kits. I got mine out and started to lay out every item .

First rule of having a phreaking tool kit is have doubles of everything. I try to keep this up and have gone as far as having 3 or more of the same items.

My list brakes down as this.

A custom tool that I made. I use it when I am using my test set (AKA Beige Box). It can connect to anything you want it to. It sure makes life a lot easier.

Then I have my

Snips

Cable Knife

Special Key (What could it be used for??? maybe to open some newer boxes)

Vary tiny Phillips screwdriver (for pressing reset buttons)

4 Nut drivers, all different sizes. (the 2 that are solid gray are for newer homes that come with some metric nuts and not standard.)

Utility knife

Also My

Diks

Clips (just in case)

Needle Nose

Nines

Wire cutters

90 Degree Pick

RJ-11 Press down tool

Wire strippers ( I know my wire cutters can also strip wires but has more sizes)

Now the Good Stuff

Test set ( Can use both analog and digital lines. Can make phone call on DSL line with no Hum. Can make phone call on T1 line. Can go into ether talk mode or monitor mode. Can be programed, and much much more.)

Cable fault finder.

Punch down tool

LED red/White flash lite

Wire Finder set (Fox and Hound)

A one cuts all blade and a RJ-11 to RJ-45 converter cable.

I also have a 4 in 1 screw driver. (not in any pics)

What what do you guys think.

Tell me what I should add.

I do have the keys used to open the street boxes as well.

latter

biosphear

post-11248-1202453363_thumb.jpg

post-11248-1202453380_thumb.jpg

post-11248-1202453397_thumb.jpg

post-11248-1202453413_thumb.jpg

post-11248-1202453430_thumb.jpg

Edited by biosphear

I dont really carry to much with me when I go out "into the field" but here is what I carry for most part (pictures to follow)

1 Cable cutters

1 Wirestrippers

1 Needle Nose pliers

1 Linesman pliers

1 Multimeter

1 Stanley knife

10 Patch leads (bits of wire with croc clips)

1 Beige Box

2 Jingtong radio's covering 136-174Mhz and 400 - 470Mhz (for listening to security and talking to them to make a distraction)

1 PMR 446 radio (similar to FRS)

Phone leads terminating in BT socket leads

A little shitty laptop running debian, with phreaking tools on and for doing payphone work

1 Uniden Bearcat UBC-72XLT with close call

1 Bungee box

1 BT tone dialer

Test set ( Can use both analog and digital lines. Can make phone call on DSL line with no Hum. Can make phone call on T1 line. Can go into ether talk mode or monitor mode. Can be programed, and much much more.)

Not that it isn't a nice test set (I was considering buying one of those myself but ended up with a Harris TS30, which I like a lot), but it isn't going to make calls on T1 lines. You would need some sort of an add/drop mux/CSU and DS0 adapter, or one of the larger T1 test sets (that usually do BERTs and so on) to talk over a T1 channel. The "digital" in the product description just means it doesn't interfere with digital lines if you happen to sit on one, the voice part itself is still analog, with heavy bandpass filtering.

Not that it isn't a nice test set (I was considering buying one of those myself but ended up with a Harris TS30, which I like a lot), but it isn't going to make calls on T1 lines. You would need some sort of an add/drop mux/CSU and DS0 adapter, or one of the larger T1 test sets (that usually do BERTs and so on) to talk over a T1 channel. The "digital" in the product description just means it doesn't interfere with digital lines if you happen to sit on one, the voice part itself is still analog, with heavy bandpass filtering.

That converter for the T1 lines. I have it for this box. It is a 4 inch by 4 inch box that i can plug my test set into. I did not put a pic of it because I thought it would be useless for people to see that. I guess I should now.

But you are right. This test set alone can not use a T1 line to connect.

biosphear

biosphear is the Bob Vila of phreakers. Nice kit.

Edited by BMF