Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GONZO

OS X ?

13 posts in this topic

Thanks would it be hard putting OS X on my hdd. I have vista and ubuntu on my laptop and backtrack 3 on 4 gig flash drive I just wanted to see if I can put OS X on my laptop.

Wouldnt be legal if I paid for OS X?

It's illegal to install OS X on non-apple hardware. It's in their license agreement.

If you have a PC, you should probably just stick with linux or windows or whatever. If you want a mac, then get a mac. You really need an apple computer for the full experience anyway.

Thanks I might go by a cheap mac.

Ha...

You used cheap and Mac in the same phrase.

They are really not that bad in price. Go to any apple store near you and sometimes they have deals were they give you a free printer and iPod Nano if you buy a new Mac.

The surplus auction up here (state university) sells just about everything pretty cheap -- a friend of mine got an iMac G4/700 MHz with 17" flat monitor for $200, which is a decent Mac to give a try.

I've tried OS X on generic PC hardware, and even a fast x86 machine can't compare to a midrange Mac. OS X is designed for specific hardware; as such, that's what it runs best on. By the time you pay for parts to build a machine (there are recommended parts lists out there) that'll run OS X, you might as well buy a cheap Mac. I'd definitely go used though; even if it's eBay, you can get PowerPC based Macs for a reasonable price secondhand. Besides, it sounds more like you want to play around with it, rather than switch everything over to OS X.

Thanks for the feed back guys I never played with a mac so I might have toget a cheap one just to goof around on.

It's illegal to install OS X on non-apple hardware. It's in their license agreement.

Even though it infringes on their license it isn't necessarily illegal. It may conflict with the DMCA, but I don't think you'll have to worry about the FBI kicking down your door. I wouldn't recommend starting a business selling generic computers with OS X pre-installed though ;)

The OSx86 project has good info: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Just by a mac. But it is definately possible, but there are absulutely no legal ways of doing so. I used to run it on my Dell Insiron 9400 untill I got my MacBook Pro. There is insanelymac.com a forum that have some great how-to's on most popular hardware.