phreakmac

Planning on getting a radio

6 posts in this topic

So i want to get a Ham radio and i am a complete noob on the subject.

Basically what i am looking for is something that is good, cheap(limited budget atm) and has low power req (hopfully want to be able to power it with solar and some batteries.

anyone with any good suggestions?

Basically what i am looking for is something that is good, cheap(limited budget atm) and has low power req (hopfully want to be able to power it with solar and some batteries.

You don't mention what band (frequency) you want to work in, or what you're hoping to do with it.

Technically it would be illegal to operate a HAM transceiver without a license, since you suggest you are a 'nube' it would be worthwhile taking the exam first and then considering what to get,

Cheers,

Mungewell.

I am in a similar boat. I have a tech license. I'm looking for an HT. There are a few UHF/VHF repeaters I can hit with 5 watts in my area. I am just looking for some suggestions. I haven't checked out my local HRO, yet. I just wanted some idea of what I should look out for first.

well to get your feet wet without buying a radio there has been alot of chatter over the air about "echolink" windows app that allows you to connect to participating repeaters/stations the neat thing is i live in ohio and can connect to a 2 meter repeater in cali and make fun of strom over the airwaves ;) i tried playing with it using wine and sorat worked but getting verified and able to broadcast is a complicated task i gave up

EchoLink is cool, but you have to watch it. Some hams don't consider it to be "real" radio... it's one of the hot new controversies in the hobby. I personally think it's pretty neat, but YMMV.

Getting everything set up can be a pain in the butt, you're right. You do have to verify your ticket with the admins first, which can take a day or so if I recall.

Ive used echolink in some contests and there is something to be said for the clear communications.

Its simply another form of communicating, which is the heart of ham radio.