Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aldenso

1800 number to someone's house?

5 posts in this topic

Hey,

I dont know if this is in the right section, and sorry if it isn't.

As you can see I'm new here, and I just swung by trying to find a folgers calling card, which i never found, but i was looking around and got curious.

A while back when my drunken buddies and i were...well...drunk, we started dialing random 1800 numbers. Eventually we dialed a number (which was my friends last name if in text), and It went to someones house that we believe is decently far down in the states (he has a thick accent and calls the police "the sheriff"). I was just wondering how this is possible? he doesn't know this 1800 number exists, and he gets real angry because I call him all the time telling him he's my father and I need a ride from the airport. I just called him this second, and he sounds like he is sleeping. So can anyone explain this to me? how a random 1800 number can lead to someone's house without them knowing it exists?

I know exactly what you're talking about. I come across lots of toll-free numbers that point to someone's residence and the person knows nothing about it. I call them "dangling toll-free numbers".

My theory is this:

The prior owner of the toll-free number was most likely a company who went out of business. When they went out of business, they had the toll-free number "disconnected" and the POTS number (the number the toll-free number forwards to) disconnected. Now, here's what I think sometimes happens: The telco, for some unknown reason, doesn't actually disconnect the toll-free number or change where it points to, so it's probably still pointing to the business' POTS number. As months go by, a person aquires the business' POTS number. OK, so now that person has a toll-free number free of charge and knows absolutely nothing about it! They aren't getting billed for the toll-free number, so they have no way of knowing about it other than getting wrong numbers from callers looking for the business who had the number before.

I've heard of such occurrences before. I guess sometimes a toll-free will mistakenly remain translated to a destination number even after service has been canceled. It's like when you get three-way calling even though you never ordered it, because RCMAC mistakenly added that feature code to your line when they were working on an order.

Otherwise, it could be one of those residential personal toll-free numbers that require you to enter a code to call the party, much like the AT&T Easy Reach 800 service that carwash mentioned. They're very often on default too.....

Could be that someone in the household ordered service and took a toll free number that was free unless there are minutes. Then they never used it and forgot about it. If they read the phone bill they'll probably cancel it when they see the charges from you calling. Could also be a type-o somewhere. I have a toll free number that rings my cell phone for 3 seconds, then my girlfriends cell phone for 3 seconds, then my moms house for three seconds. I ended up never really using it, but if someone called and it got passed me and my girlfriend my mom would have no idea what it was. Anyway thanks for reminding me I should probably change that since i moved out.