Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wolfman1984

Security Now with Steve Gibson

7 posts in this topic

The Wolfman listens to a lot of security radio shows on the way to work each morning.

The one show the Wolfman can't stand is Security Now. I honestly can't get through the show without asking myself "Wolfman, you sexy beast, why are you still listening to this crap?"

I find the majority of Steve's show contain him talking about how great his SpinRite product is. And how the Astoro (sp?) network tool is *so* good.

Does anyone here actually like Security Now?

Btw, if anyone reading is looking for the best security-tech radio show: Hacker Public Radio all the fricken way!

I like his show, though it is a bit more focused on crypto/hash based proof of concepts. Hey Steve makes his living on Spinrite, and Leo is all about ads.. I think gibson just gets into topics that he can nail down to a T. Which makes him so focused on authentication/ theory. Yet I wished he would get into the Malware concepts more, and would go into more of the GREY areas.. But again as he says he is just now migrating from Windows 2000-Xp. Which is funny because he has a vista box, and why for all the silliness in that. And btw a great podcast to listen to before bedtime, it puts me right to sleep when I dont think I could fall asleep.

Oh and I forgot to mention, ask him about NAT routers .. By God he wont stop. I would like him to get more into recovery forensics tech on the theory of how to take a platter and read data even if the HD is broken. I know he knows how to do that.

At one time I listened to Security Now. After the first six episodes they all seem the same, talking about spinrite and astaro for about 15-30 minutes. Now I will listen if they do a subject that interests me. By all means avoid the %4 q&a episodes, they are intolerable.

I will check out Hacker Public Radio. It looks fairly decent. Thanks

I'm with you on the dislike front. They should just call it what it is...a commercial!

I'm with you on the dislike front. They should just call it what it is...a commercial!

No kidding. I literally have to skip the show about 15 minutes into the 45 minutes show. Even after 15 minutes, the commercial is still going on. That’s 1/3 of the show!!

I like how Stank does it on HPR. A quick blurb at the end of the show. Nice and subtle.

I used to listen to the show a while back. It surprises me how 'expert' Gibson thinks he is. All in all it is a decent show for newcomers but it doesn't strike me as the best source of information for people that know a bit about the topic. I found myself more than once wishing to correct him - and heck, I don't even know that much.

As for the ads, well, the entire TWiT network is the same. It's a business by all means. At least it ain't Digg :)