Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

Just a note about server costs and ads and such

14 posts in this topic

I just wanted to post an update and a note of thanks to everyone.

Many of you know that I have tried my best to keep ads off of binrev.com but as the site(s) grew it became more expensive to host everything and I was coming out of pocket for it all since the beginning. We have implemented several changes to help offset the server costs without plastering ads on the site (which I believe would be its inevitable downfall).

1) We did put small ads on some of our other, smaller sites like hacktv.org and digitaldawgpound.org as well as a few more. Even when we did this, we insisted on using text ads and making them as unintrusive as possible.

2) We reached an agreement/cooperating with caro.net for our hosting. The largest costs associated with the site are the hosting fees. caro.net worked out an agreement with us for what we considered a fair compromise of putting some sponsored links at the end of our radio shows. We believe that they are non-intrusive, not long and drawn out like a commercial, and are actually on-topic since many people need hosting services and I do genuinely support caro.net anyway.

3) We added an agents-only subscription. This was a great thing in my opinion because it not only gets people to contribute, but I feel better about giving them something back for their donation.

4) We tried selling T-shirts and possibly other merchandise, but frankly, this failed miserably. No one buys the shorts even with the knowledge that it supports the site. We will probably not be doing anything like that again.

I have never really revealed this to anyone, but basically we need a total of about 600 dollars per month to keep binrev alive. When it started as 30 dollars a month, I just paid out of pocket. When it jumped to 100 within that first year, I still paid for it. When it climbed to 300+ after those server problems that we had 2 years ago, I paid it but I realized that I could not keep that up for very long. I am not independently wealthy. When we outgrew that server, I knew that I had to give in and come up with some way to keep binrev alive and I think we have arrived at that point.

Between all of the items listed above, we are almost reaching our goal. If people keep joining the agents-only forum and buying the occasional t-shirt, and if our advertisers on the smaller sites stick around, that will supplement that hosting deal that caro.net provides us to cover the hosting/bandwidth bill. We would not be here today if it were not for caro.net and their generosity and the same holds true for those of you who have contributed.

In summary, thanks for the support. We tried our best to make a reasonable compromise to keep the family of sites alive and we hope that it hasn't been too bad. I know that some people will not agree with any of this, but I can only hope that they will understand in time that it was necessary. I guess you have to be in that position to understand. To the rest of you, thanks for your contributions (financial or otherwise). In case I don't say it enough, it is appreciated.

In summary, thanks for the support. We tried our best to make a reasonable compromise to keep the family of sites alive and we hope that it hasn't been too bad. I know that some people will not agree with any of this, but I can only hope that they will understand in time that it was necessary. I guess you have to be in that position to understand. To the rest of you, thanks for your contributions (financial or otherwise). In case I don't say it enough, it is appreciated.

I think we should be the ones saying thank you for doing this.

Yes, thank you stank dawg for providing a community and forum that we can all take part of.

I know when i have somes bones to throw your way i will be definitely helping to contribute.

Why are the costs getting bigger? Is that just bandwidth?

I think we should be the ones saying thank you for doing this.

Couldn't agree more.

Thanks Stank... Had no idea that kind of money was involved. You have my respect and admiration.

Why are the costs getting bigger? Is that just bandwidth?

bandwidth was always big, but not really the main problem. It was the underpowered server that was the problem as more people started coming, the memory and CPU demands were so high that the machine just couldnt keep up.

Our current box is a dual processor, dual core xeon machine with 4 GB RAM and 2x250GB hard drives and unmetered bandwidth. It has a consistent load on it, but it runs perfectly fine and should last us for several years without going up in cost anymore. We finally seem to be stable for a change (Which is why I am finally happy again). :)

So is there anything we can do to assure that costs don't go up?

As I said to you before Stank, I would really love to see a tax deductible charity created to hold the binrev assets/bills. At least then you can beg for money and feel good about giving people tax write offs, not to mention the other benefits.

He'd have to file that with the IRS to even see if he can get 503( c ) if I recall correctly to get tax writeoffs.

Stankdawg, what do you host that takes that kind of monster box? The forums can't be using THAT much resources.

Edited by riscphree

I never heard about BR shorts : <

I'll be glad to give some money to support BR at DefCon again this year. I think hats would be cool to have.

As far as advertisments for the websites, I dont know who you are using on the smaller websites, but Google usually pays much better for security based advertisements then regular ads.

Just a thought.

He'd have to file that with the IRS to even see if he can get 503( c ) if I recall correctly to get tax writeoffs.

Stankdawg, what do you host that takes that kind of monster box? The forums can't be using THAT much resources.

Yeah, but thats an online form to fill out and a small flat fee in my state.

Yeah, but thats an online form to fill out and a small flat fee in my state.

I'm only telling my experience with it, but when we tried with a group of friends in a small venture we started, we had to prove all this stuff, show where money was going, etc. We did our best but they still denied us.