Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Write Permissions

10 posts in this topic

This is getting on my last nerve :grr:

I keep getting the error that I can not have permission to write the file. I am logged in as root

Here are some errors I got with installing programs:

BitchX Error

John@Desktop4:~$ cd BitchX
John@Desktop4:~/BitchX$ ./configure
Welcome to the BitchX-1.1-final configuration

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
John@Desktop4:~/BitchX$

And heres a ss of what happens when I try to write to File System(The HD)

2ciic6u.png

I am logged in with a username I created and I am assuming it is root unless there is another account to use(root)?

-snapple

if its ubutu try putting sudo in front of your commands

Still doesn't work. Heres the error log. Also quick question I am logging in with the only user account I made which should be root correct?

Error:

John@Desktop4:~$ cd BitchX
John@Desktop4:~/BitchX$ ./configure

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
John@Desktop4:~/BitchX$ sudo ./configure
[sudo] password for John:

checking for gcc... gcc
John@Desktop4:~/BitchX$

I thought that the root prompt was #. If not then root@'hostname' or something like that. You could try su - and see if you get prompted for a password. And just because you are root doesn't mean you have write privileges. Check to see if root has write privileges for the directory you're trying to write to... or check the /etc/sudoers file to see if you are not switching users to another user as opposed to root.

Edited by C'thulhu

Still doesn't work. Heres the error log. Also quick question I am logging in with the only user account I made which should be root correct?

ubutntu doesnt let you use root by default, if you want to use a console as root i think you can type sudo bash

http://ubuntuforums.org/ has alot of good info

Right, you need to install build-essential. In addition to that, before compiling any software by hand that's also in the ubuntu repositories, I like to make sure I have the build deps (libraries and headers). Run the two following command and try the configure script again. I'm not completely sure bitchx is in the repositories under that name, do an apt-cache search if the build-dep command fails.

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get build-dep bitchx

Right, you need to install build-essential. In addition to that, before compiling any software by hand that's also in the ubuntu repositories, I like to make sure I have the build deps (libraries and headers). Run the two following command and try the configure script again. I'm not completely sure bitchx is in the repositories under that name, do an apt-cache search if the build-dep command fails.

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get build-dep bitchx

Awww. I don't have the cd on hand :huh:. Also the sudo bash does make it root(thanks.) I am trying to find a way to manually install build-essential without the cd.

Edit: I found this I am reading up on it but theirs no clear stating but rather shows a few compilers??

Edited by snapple

If you are interested in BitchX then I assume you have internet connectivity on that machine.. The question begs, then, why do you need the CD. apt-get and family run with remote servers (in a sense; also, you can use Synaptic to make your life easier if you're so inclined).

So you should be able to install everything you need from the online repositories.

Edited by inaequitas

Right click on the file, go to properties and go to the permissions tab. You want to change it to Read & Write.