GONZO

OS of Choice

13 posts in this topic

I'v been using backtrack for a while and decided to dual boot a linux distro on my laptop, Im thinking the newest version of ubuntu what do you guys think. Am I making the right choice? Thanks.

Gutsy(Ubuntu v7.10) is good for people new to linux. Backtrack2 is meant for pen testing.

I know I do wireless hacking on my own network. I thinks using an installed lunux would let me know how to use computer alot more I know how to use alot of hacking tools but I never compiled drivers or programs before. So any tips would be great.

Well for me luckily my wireless card was out of the box compatible. If it not then you would want a prism 2.5 type card. I believe everything that comes with backtrack can be installed on ubuntu. Ubuntu is great because of the generic drivers it comes with. Anyone want to add to this?

I think it is best for someone new to start with an OS that does not spoon feed them, I think you can learn allot more this way. I recommend freeBSD while not a Linux distro it has great documentation and is a dream to run!

FreeBSD is a good system to use, i personally havent used it but OS X which i have used quite a lot is apparently a variant.

I would recommend slack as we are asking for opinion, but really any flavour of *nix will demonstrate how.

If your serious about learning OS architecture, i would recommend doing some reading on Operating System construction

and operating system concepts and theories, as these really help practical knowledge of understanding operating systems.

Ninja

Thanks Ill look into it if anyone needs help with wireless hacking I can help the best I can.

You cant put your cards in monitor mode in windows.

it was a joke >.<

Ubuntu is a nice pick. Hell, even though i'm not a beginner with linux, i still enjoy it heh. Why not doing something easier if i already know how to do it the hard way. heh. Just make sure you learn the hardway first.

OS of Choice is the one that gets the job done for you, most easily...

All my systems run Ubuntu. It's easy to install, whether you are doing a server build or desktop. Documentation is all over the web and support at ubuntuforums.com is great.