Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fifi580

Noob payphone question.

20 posts in this topic

i was walking around the mall today with a couple of freinds, and when i passed the movies, and notices a payphone inside.

i decided to check it out and found that there was a incomming call number. fast forward 20 mins, i tried calling the number, and i got some rather odd feedback after the first ring, Also, just to note the phone DOES ring when called, and still gives feedback wether picked up or not.

now, i was wondering, is it all payphones that do this? or does the one i found simply not accept incomming calls.

the Number is (508)-581-9158

If you could explain, or simply point me in the direction of information about this, it would be Much Appriciated.

i was walking around the mall today with a couple of freinds, and when i passed the movies, and notices a payphone inside.

i decided to check it out and found that there was a incomming call number. fast forward 20 mins, i tried calling the number, and i got some rather odd feedback after the first ring, Also, just to note the phone DOES ring when called, and still gives feedback wether picked up or not.

now, i was wondering, is it all payphones that do this? or does the one i found simply not accept incomming calls.

If you could explain, or simply point me in the direction of information about this, it would be Much Appriciated.

hmm, did it sound like this?

Klik

Or this?

Klicken

Or Maybe this?

Clook

Edited by Phreaker Meekrab

Klik

Or this?

Klicken

You must be talking about one of those pay phone-disguised fax machines! Gee, I see those everywhere these days.

Klik

Or this?

Klicken

You must be talking about one of those pay phone-disguised fax machines! Gee, I see those everywhere these days.

Haw Haw. Just answer his question since you're clearly superior.

Klik

Or this?

Klicken

No, I was talking about the sound of modem carriers...

They sound close but not too close to modems.

So why would you ask if it sounds like a fax machine? It's a pay phone, not a fax machine.

Klik

Or this?

Klicken

No, I was talking about the sound of modem carriers...

They sound close but not too close to modems.

So why would you ask if it sounds like a fax machine? It's a pay phone, not a fax machine.

Haw Haw. Just answer his question since you're clearly superior.

Can you explain this "feedback"? On Verizon hybrid payphones, the firmware is often programmed to restrict incoming calls, and if you attempt to answer an incoming call, the phone will say "Incoming calls restricted". If the line itself restricts incoming calls, you can try using the ringback code.

If this is a COCOT, many of them say different things when getting incoming calls. Although they often pick up the call with the modem, and attempt to send/receive data. Maybe that was the "feedback" you're describing? Or perhaps the line was just badly wired/installed. If you played me a recording of this, I'd be able to better determine what's happening.

Edited by Royal

no, but if it had it would of made my day.

\/it sounded more like \/

Milburry_phone.wav

Thats a Carrier....

Hmm.... Ill Call it and see what I can do with it...

TO THE HYPERTERMINAL!

I got this... Now What?

HÎÒŸÈĨmbÉU7X9RѵöyÇò¥ P¾)

äö2uuî²çPššû*B¿´ìøæ²

Both of my modems are being extra bitchy tonight, so I may or may not end up connecting. Judging by Meekrab's post, though, it's probably an Elcotel.

Both of my modems are being extra bitchy tonight, so I may or may not end up connecting. Judging by Meekrab's post, though, it's probably an Elcotel.

@ Fifi

elcotel.gif

Does it look like that?

Edit: I'm getting Bilingual Error messages if I keep dialing quickly (English And French)

AFAIK Worcester doesn't speak french...

yeah Meekrab, thats basically the same exact phone.

May i ask how you are getting these Messages? myself being a noob, i'm trying to understand exactly what you are doing. do you know of a website that could potentially help me understand a little bit better?

It's probably going to be in the standard WEco knock off COCOT housing with the coin slot and return on the right side instead of the left. Also, the handset cable is on the left side of the housing, instead of slightly to the left of the keypad. Generally, you'll find the legit housings on Verizon payphones, or whatever other telephone company serves your area more often with "Bell System, Made by Western Electric" on the top of the coin slot, and the bell system logo in the lower right corner of the upper housing (look near the keypad). Not all of them have these markings, though, the newer ones don't have any WE/Bell System markings.

Here's a comparison;

COCOT: http://www.yapl.org/phonedetail.php?id=2765

ACTS (well, sort of): http://www.yapl.org/phonedetail.php?id=2940

There are, of course, a few exceptions, and different kinds of housings, but I'd rather not go into further detail in this thread, since the information is out there. That, and I'm just lazy :P

yeah Meekrab, thats basically the same exact phone.

May i ask how you are getting these Messages? myself being a noob, i'm trying to understand exactly what you are doing. do you know of a website that could potentially help me understand a little bit better?

@ ThoughtMeeker and fifi

Click?

aye. But the origional question still stands,

now, i was wondering, is it all payphones that do this? or does the one i found simply not accept incomming calls

and if its neither, then may i ask is there a way to get around this annoying tone?

The information Provided so Far is definatly still appriciated though.

aye. But the origional question still stands,
now, i was wondering, is it all payphones that do this? or does the one i found simply not accept incomming calls

and if its neither, then may i ask is there a way to get around this annoying tone?

The information Provided so Far is definatly still appriciated though.

I just listened to that wave file; it definitely sounds like a carrier. So this is a COCOT in Millbury huh? Was it in a mall? I've never been to that city before.

Anyway, many payphones, or most when it comes to Massachusetts at least, DO NOT accept incoming calls. However, most COCOTs like the one you're posting about, accept incoming calls for the sole purpose of dialing up to the modem for data transfers.

was that at auburn mall?

that long beep is odd.

the ones at my mall make modem sounds and im not sure what they are.

i dont really get the feed back you describe

@STD, no, it wasn't auburn mall. it was the "Blackstone shoppes" in Millbury.