Malachai

Question on Product :Hackers Center Ethical Hacker:

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Wanted to get some feedback on what you guys thought of this product. My buddy was thinking about buying this product that will show him some security and other stuff he wants to follow down the road. I told him that he could read it on the net but he wants to start from the bottom up. He works in computers but wants to learn more.

Below is the link to the program he wants to buy. The other link is a break down what it has.

http://hackerscenter.com/hacker/

Kits includes

http://kit.hackerscenter.com/contents.html

I guess for someone who wants to learn from the bottom up and is new to the security and other stuff I think this would be good for him. Any feedback would be good .

Thanks.

This text seems kind of suspicious.

We make sure that people thriving to learn security know how to learn in matter of weeks and not years.

That may be a typo I suppose but I would be careful of a possible scam, especially on that kind of a site. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a dialogue going with the creators and ask them some questions about it just to get some sort of validation and then see how you feel about it afterwards.

I am actually interested in something similar to this. It seems a fairly low cost but that may be in order to draw in people for teh scam if that is what this turns out to be. Does anyone know any other CEH kit / video tutorial that they could endorse as being worth the money.

I know the best way of course is to read up on the free information on the net. I would like to get some decent material to help out some friends of mine who are looking to get into IT.

Thanks for your help.

I am confused!

The majority of this stuff can be found in books that are programming, scripting, networking, security, and OS specific books. and these books usually tell you how and why to apply each technique-- as well as explain the entire subject. The difference is they come with real world examples and they also give you references to other materials to expand your research.

I think it would be a waste of time to buy this. I say invest your time to get the Ethical hacker certification, or similar. This toolkit pretty much covers a broad, incomplete range of topics that can all be done with tools like nmap, tcpdump, nessus, jtr, hydra, and nikto. Also, what tells your future employers that you know anything? A certification is a better investment.

Besides, the web site looks like it was just slapped up. Looks like someone is just trying to make a quick buck by selling this. This toolkit assumes you already have knowledge in advanced programming, advanced networking, and cryptology techniques.

If you are interested in getting your CEH cert. Look into "New Horizon" school. The one i go to have teachers that have real world experience, and know how to teach it. Im taking my MCSE and CCNA there with nothing bad to say except its expensive. If your work will cover some or all of the costs go for it. If you want to learn security bottom up would be networks. Learning tcp/ip inside out, routers, switches, how they talk to each other and packets flow through them. Dabble a bit in programming so you have a base to learn from later. Just my two cents. Another thing to consider is books. I can recommend some ones that will get you going in the right direction.

- Hacking Exposed: Network Security and Solutions (Gives a basic overview of how its done)

- Hacking Exposed: Web Application Security and Solutions (Same as above)

- Hacking Art of Exploitation (A bit more technical but well worth the read)

Get a book on the Network+ exam then follow it up with a book all on TCP/IP. These will be huge stepping stones. This way you'll get a feel for what direction you want to take or if you even want to continue. Its going to take alot of patience and reading.

This CEH stuff is such crap. Hacking is about thinking about things for yourself

Seems like a waste of money unless you are really too lazy to find the information which is all available for free online. Honestly if you can't find the information (they tell you all the topics) you really shouldn't even bother with the cert. Most of it is fairly basic and is freely available from many many different sources.