Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
binary_lulz

Asus Eee PC

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has an Eee PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220270

I've read some reviews, but I was wondering what fellow hackers thought. I've wanted a cheap, low powered linux laptop for a while. I don't want to do anything major: taking notes in open office, browsing the net, using security related network apps (nmap, kismet, etc)

My main concern is low storage (though that can be augmented through SD cards). Has that impacted you?

What's the battery life like, I've gotten a lot of conflicting reports from 3 hours to as high as 8.

Thanks a ton, I appreciate the input.

There's a good episode about it on HPR. Also, it is a great little machine for running Backtrack 3 on and can work well for penetration tests on your own network. If you've got the extra dough go for it.

The Wolfman is more concerned about the low resolution on the EEE. I'm personally going to wait until a newer version comes out with at least 1024x768.

Having said that, there are plenty of people modding their EEE's to do great things. This guy managed to get his EEE working under 1600 x 900.

http://pubed.blogspot.com/2008/01/1600-x-9...sus-eee-pc.html

i got one a while ago, and im really happy with it. i had bought it planning to do like every hack out there (especially the touchscreen hack) but havent had the time nor money to go down that road yet. Anyways, its so small, i take it with me pretty much EVERYWHERE. Speed hasnt been a huge problem for me, neither has storage, especially with flash drives, and if u ditch xandros OS, you can free up a ton of space. its been absolutely perfect for me to take to class and use it for note taking (and watching youtube videos...). One thing i would recommend tho, is to buy a 2gig stick of RAM for it. It cost me like an extra 50 bucks tops, 35 if i had actually used the rebate.

Does this have a actual interchangeable hard drive? Beyond a 2gig hd it looks sexy for the price. I would get one if i had the money.

edit: Also nvm, helps to read =/

Edited by XxthugstylezxX

Never mind.

Edited by friendless

i got one a while ago, and im really happy with it. i had bought it planning to do like every hack out there (especially the touchscreen hack) but havent had the time nor money to go down that road yet. Anyways, its so small, i take it with me pretty much EVERYWHERE. Speed hasnt been a huge problem for me, neither has storage, especially with flash drives, and if u ditch xandros OS, you can free up a ton of space. its been absolutely perfect for me to take to class and use it for note taking (and watching youtube videos...). One thing i would recommend tho, is to buy a 2gig stick of RAM for it. It cost me like an extra 50 bucks tops, 35 if i had actually used the rebate.

What distro did you switch it to?

It looks like an impressive little machine. I'm actually considering buying one.

Judging by my previous experience with ASUS laptops, they are a very robust little machine.

Ive only ever seen 1 DOA Asus Laptop out of the 50 of so my work has ordered in for customers.

The only thing i would have real issue with is the hard drive, and if its a standard 2.5 inch ide connection

and the bus has the addressing capabilities i would tell you to go for it.

Looks to be a great machine to hack..

<a href="http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades" target="_blank">http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/E...ternal_Upgrades</a>

This guy went insane hacking it....makes me REALLY want one now..

That wiki article really makes me want one too. I'm going to assume that quite a few of you have disassembled your laptops before and know how much of a pain it can be to put the thing back together if you aren't careful. This article almost makes me want to buy one even more than the wiki article because it details the fact that EVERY SINGLE SCREW IS THE SAME SIZE.

Yeah..it does look cool. I had a quick look throughout the pics, and i definitely like the thing, however the big issues ive

always come across with laptops is the power connector coming away from the board. I've lost count of the times ive had

to resolder these back to mainboards themselves. just watch these..as i couldnt see what they were like form the pics.

Please excuse if they are there, its late and night and my brain has gone into shutdown mode.