Jat Goodwin

I need to hack my XP

14 posts in this topic

Today I got a new router. A D-link to be precise. And when i instaled the software for it, A few minutes later it began to royaly screw my computer up. Eventualy it reached a point where about 5-30 seconds after the windows login screen would appere i would get this nasty blue screen with some sort of memory error on it. after fighting with my computer for a few hours I decided to reinstal windows. Ive reinstaled it before, and nothing went weird as I went through it. after it was all done, I did not get anything pooping up asking me for a serial code or anything and i was upset to discover that my video, sound and networking drivers were uninstaled. So now that everything was fine and dandy I decided time to go get my pictures and videos and programs and all that other crap I had on my old computer's life. so I checked in the program files, everything was there, I then went to drag all the crap out of my documents and settings into my new account, just like what i did last time i reinstaled windows. Only this time I windows said to me " Fuck you" and said that accses was denied. Now at this point I am unhappy, seeing that I just lost around 2 years of acumalated work and stuff. So the moale to this story is, dont install d-link software. And my question is, How can I hack into windows to get my stuff back? Sorry for my bad spelling and stuff, I havent reinstalled Firefox yet, becuse its in my other file, and my spellchecker thingy doesnt seem to be working right.

Today I got a new router. A D-link to be precise. And when i instaled the software for it, A few minutes later it began to royaly screw my computer up. Eventualy it reached a point where about 5-30 seconds after the windows login screen would appere i would get this nasty blue screen with some sort of memory error on it. after fighting with my computer for a few hours I decided to reinstal windows. Ive reinstaled it before, and nothing went weird as I went through it. after it was all done, I did not get anything pooping up asking me for a serial code or anything and i was upset to discover that my video, sound and networking drivers were uninstaled. So now that everything was fine and dandy I decided time to go get my pictures and videos and programs and all that other crap I had on my old computer's life. so I checked in the program files, everything was there, I then went to drag all the crap out of my documents and settings into my new account, just like what i did last time i reinstaled windows. Only this time I windows said to me " Fuck you" and said that accses was denied. Now at this point I am unhappy, seeing that I just lost around 2 years of acumalated work and stuff. So the moale to this story is, dont install d-link software. And my question is, How can I hack into windows to get my stuff back? Sorry for my bad spelling and stuff, I havent reinstalled Firefox yet, becuse its in my other file, and my spellchecker thingy doesnt seem to be working right.

Well first off why would you install the software for d-link. You could of configured it threw your browser... I'm a little bit lost on your files. You said you installed the OS back on your machine but when you went into my doc it gave you a denied when you tried to copy them over First off how did you keep those file there when you reinstalled them. Do you have then back up in other place rather then the machine it self?

Also make sure your user has admin right that might also be the trouble.

I know you can configure it through the browser, i was having truble with that so i installed it. Also, my user does have Admin.

on a side note when i was downloading the windows updates...

post-12666-1200550841.jpg

you just got to love microsoft technology.

I just overwrote the old windows files when I was installing it. Thats how I kept everything.

Edited by Eater of PIE!

Try escalating to system with "at" in the command prompt, then copy the files. If you don't know how to do a system escalation just search the forums or google for it, it's around here somewhere.

-spaceout

I tried all the safe mode, system restore stuff. It would just constantly give me blue screen. I searched system escalation on google and couldnt find anything of any use. so Would you kindly give me a bit more information on the subject so I could find out how to do this? on a side note, whats the linux equivalent to a blue screen?

Edited by Eater of PIE!

For system escalation you're going to want to pull up a command prompt, then type:

at "insert current time plus a minute or two here" /interactive cmd.exe

Then you'll want to wait for the new command prompt to come up. Close the first instance of cmd and kill explorer.exe, in your new command prompt type "explorer.exe" and if you did things right you should have system privs. Pull up the start menu and check the user, if it's not SYSTEM you did something wrong.

thank you space out, I love you (but not in a strom way) I will most likely be sending you my router now.

For system escalation you're going to want to pull up a command prompt, then type:

Then you'll want to wait for the new command prompt to come up. Close the first instance of cmd and kill explorer.exe, in your new command prompt type "explorer.exe" and if you did things right you should have system privs. Pull up the start menu and check the user, if it's not SYSTEM you did something wrong.

I have a few noob questions if I may? What does a system escalation do exactly? Does it simply bump the permissions up so that the sys admin is allowed access to the individual files??? Or, did I completely infer that wrong?

Edited by Chiron

it gives you the same access to the system that the OS has, basically.

I have a few noob questions if I may? What does a system escalation do exactly? Does it simply bump the permissions up so that the sys admin is allowed access to the individual files??? Or, did I completely infer that wrong?

Think of it like this. The system scheduler has 'system' permissions. A flaw in SP1 allowed any user to call the scheduler. Since anything it executed was a child, it inherits 'system' permissions. For instance, a command prompt window. You can actually kill explorer and re-launch it with system privs.

Remember, permissions in windows are inherent unless otherwise specified.

if you need to bypass XP security to copy files off an NTFS volume, puppy linux works. just boot into puppy, mount the ntfs volume, and copy your data onto an external hard drive or a flash drive. unless the volume is encrypted. if the volume is encrypted, you're screwed.

although, it occurs to me that there are probably people around here who know how to get past things like PGP encryption, too.

Cheers for the info Spaceout...you learn something new everyday.

I myself have always had a linux machine set up for this reason.

Never knew that priv. escalation technique.

Cheers again, that really impressed me.

Spaceout,

Just registered on this site for the express purpose of expressing my gratitude. I Googled - hack "my documents" - and got your post, which summarily saved my worthless ass. You are a god among men, sir. Keep up the good work...

Cheers,

-Negranil