canr

Public Network Securing

8 posts in this topic

How can you connect to a public network and knowing your secure without having to ssh to another desktop? Also what methods can be used? Enough security to login to your email without worry

Edited by canr

How can you connect to a public network and knowing your secure without having to ssh to another desktop? Also what methods can be used? Enough security to login to your email without worry

You can use a VPN something like Hamachi I guess.

As for email just use Gmail with your favorite email client. Gmail uses SSL for both incoming and outgoing messages. and authentication. When using web mail just make sure you login on a secured SSL connection.

As for email just use Gmail with your favorite email client. Gmail uses SSL for both incoming and outgoing messages. and authentication. When using web mail just make sure you login on a secured SSL connection.

gmail only encrypts the login page. the rest of your email session is wide open.

If the web browser is pointed directly to https://mail.google.com the entire session will be encrypted. I should have been more clear about that.

Edited by tekio

If I am not mistaken I am pretty sure there is email clients that offer encryption services (for a price of course). http://www.zixcorp.com/ I think offers email encryption.... All depends on what service you're using.

If you just mean collecting email securely, most providers will allow a 'Secure POP'/'Secure SMTP' connection using SSL. Just reconfigure your email client to use these.

If you need to secure connect to a remote network, via a public network. SSH is good, or you can use a VPN.

Mungewell.

See I want to have the same security as if it were my own network. SSH'ing to a desktop is one option but what are some others? Email was an example. I mean any site where you enter a username or password.

See I want to have the same security as if it were my own network. SSH'ing to a desktop is one option but what are some others? Email was an example. I mean any site where you enter a username or password.

As far as I know you need to tunnel an encrypted channel inside UDP or TCP. If you have not already go to twit.tv and look up security now. Steve Gibson is not my hero but he does an excellent job of explaining what you want to know.... Forgot to mention you want all the VPN episodes.

Edited by tekio

gmail only encrypts the login page. the rest of your email session is wide open.

If the web browser is pointed directly to https://mail.google.com the entire session will be encrypted. I should have been more clear about that.

I didn't now about the https:// for gmail. I will have to start using it that way... Thanks for sharing.