Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xof7

dreamhost fail....

9 posts in this topic

So a billing error on dreamhosts side just caused me to be charged $120 for an entire year of hosting... Anyone else have this issue? I found this site.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228211

Its a known issue so hopefully they will resolve it very quickly... Its tied up all the funds that I had left over...

Yes, I got that too, however, you're account does not show that. I got the email saying they charged it, but my account shows the regular amount.

edit: gotta feel sorry for all the people who actually used their docs and set it to auto renew! they got pwned!

Edited by riscphree

Billing Issues

We are currently aware of some billing inaccuracies which we will be resolving later today. All of these issues will be resolved, and any billing errors corrected. We sincerely apologize for any hassle this has created.

- UPDATE Tue Jan 15 04:13:17 PST 2008 -

The problem has been found and corrected. We are currently going through all erroneously charged accounts and refunding money. Stay tuned for further updates.

- UPDATE Tue Jan 15 07:25:16 PST 2008 -

Scripts are still running to correct the original problem. Last night, this guy ran a standard billing cycle to clean up stragglers from 2007. Unfortunately, the biller was run for 2008 (December 31st, 2008 to be exact). This caused everyone to be billed as if today was 2008-12-31, wreaking the havoc that we are so sorry you had to be put through.

We’re going through and fixing everything right now, but it may take several hours before all affected accounts are corrected. You will receive an email when yours is fixed, and if your credit card was charged, the charge will be refunded automatically.

We’re very very very sorry about this! There is a blog.dreamhost.com post explaining in more detail how this happened..

Also, you needn’t contact us or your credit card company/bank about this.. we’re fixing it right as you read this (and maybe already have for your account)! The best move for you is to just sit back and pretend you never got those weird billing email(s) talking about owing lots of money!

This post will be marked as resolved once (we believe) we’ve fixed everybody’s account.

Once again, we are all *extremely* sorry for the mishap. Thank you for your continued patience while we clean up our mess.

Severity: High Resolved: No

sauce http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2008/01/15/billing-issues/

No kidding. Imagine all the charges racked up by overdrawn bank accounts at the customer's expense.

What a nightmare.

I do believe I'm one of the very few getting some MAJOR laughs out of this. Not only was I NOT billed (I didn't have auto-rebill on, AND I just cashed out my rewards last week woot!) , but I haven't incurred any downtime either!

<3 me sum dreamhost!

Yeah they tried to charge me too, but only like $70 or something. Thankfully I don't have autopay on, and I am also not the only one who pays for the account anyway.

Bitches had me scared, I only had my domain for like 2 months and I got an invoice for $130 in my inbox.

At least we know Dreamhost employees are human.

Edited by Perf-149

Its a good thing that I saw this post here as my account is renewing soon (next month?) and I almost paid it.

The thing I love about dreamhost and one of the reasons I stay with them is their transparency. On their blog they wrote about exactly what happened, why it happened and what they are doing to fix it. Even if it doesn't help at all for me to know exactly what hardware failed and brought my website offline, its comforting that they have a policy of always telling you whats wrong.

djmollusk and I have been lol'ing at the blog all day watching the comments just rain in. freakin hilarious news methinks.