diablo69

Kismet

5 posts in this topic

I was running kismet..I finally got it working under ubuntu for the ipw3956 intel pro wireless card, and anytime I hit L on the ssid it says "Wireless Card Power" Server is not reporting card power levels. No Signal information is available.

So my question is..does this mean I have kismet configured wrong, and if that be the case..whats the easiest way to fix the problem?

I was running kismet..I finally got it working under ubuntu for the ipw3956 intel pro wireless card, and anytime I hit L on the ssid it says "Wireless Card Power" Server is not reporting card power levels. No Signal information is available.

So my question is..does this mean I have kismet configured wrong, and if that be the case..whats the easiest way to fix the problem?

On a sidenote it keeps closing the server connection b/c the card is in AUTOFIT mode. Strangly however I did type "iwconfig eth1 mode monitor" and it went to another line that is blank..so I'm guessing that means the cmd worked.

On a sidenote it keeps closing the server connection b/c the card is in AUTOFIT mode. Strangly however I did type "iwconfig eth1 mode monitor" and it went to another line that is blank..so I'm guessing that means the cmd worked.

To find out if it worked do an iwconfig eth1 and it should state the crard is in monitor mode. As for it working can it detect any wireless networks. (yours maybe)? It could be that your card's driver reports the signal levels different than Kismet understands.

Also, if Kismett.conf is set up for the correct driver it should put the card in monitor mode at startup. When I put my card (running HostAP) into monitor mode and then start Kismet an error will be generated.

I think backtrak (a live wireless auditing linux cd) has a special ISO for your particular card. Give that a try and copy the configuration they have to your installed linux.

Edited by tekio

To find out if it worked do an iwconfig eth1 and it should state the crard is in monitor mode. As for it working can it detect any wireless networks. (yours maybe)? It could be that your card's driver reports the signal levels different than Kismet understands.

Also, if Kismett.conf is set up for the correct driver it should put the card in monitor mode at startup. When I put my card (running HostAP) into monitor mode and then start Kismet an error will be generated.

I think backtrak (a live wireless auditing linux cd) has a special ISO for your particular card. Give that a try and copy the configuration they have to your installed linux.

I will try that when I get off work today. For now I though I have to go another death run. Thanks for the advice and the tip.

I finally copied the config file over from backtrak, however it worked on backtrak after fiddling around with it and loading the intel driver manually on backtrak...so I guess I am going to have to download the same driver that backtrak was using and install that on my ubuntu box, and hopefully kismet will work then.