Demonic_angel

Irc

21 posts in this topic

I have only two questions

1) Is Irc worth having?

2) If it is worth it, can you get a good one for free. (Links or specific names would be great.)

Thanx

1) Depends what channel you go to. Most of the time it's a waste of time, but sometimes you're lucky and you get an intelligent conversation going.

For example, on irc.binrev.net, #420 is a waste of time, and #binrev sometimes has some decent conversations going.

2) If you're on windows, HydraIRC. Linux, you can try Xchat.

On OS X Colloquy is nice.

How is it going gloomer?

*cough* traitor *cough*

Hit and miss huh. oh well a few good hits are worth it i suppose. ok hopefully see you on IRC chat sometime soon i need to fix a Linux\computer problem first then i will have to check into some more IRC stuff.

Thanx guys

On OS X Colloquy is nice.

How is it going gloomer?

*cough* traitor *cough*

They were wasting too much of my time. I had to cut them off. I HAD NO CHOICE.

:P

i just found that mIRC and hydraIRC are free so does anyone have a strong reason y one is better than the other or is that just personal preference?

i just found that mIRC and hydraIRC are free so does anyone have a strong reason y one is better than the other or is that just personal preference?

mIRC isn't free.

Buy an IRC at the store.

Well as long as it works good i can handle a few extra seconds on the start up. But one question i have been meaning to ask. The name you input into the mIRC client to show as ur screen name or handle or whatever u wanna call it. can you transfer it over to another computer or do you have to pick another name and start over ?

Hey, Vector are you running Vista ?

Buy an IRC at the store.

Actually, next to the STFU and RTFM.

alright great. thanks for all ur help i think im gonna go ahead and jsut get mIRC alot of people seem to be happy with it so it can't be all that bad.

Oh, and i was curious because i saw one of your screen shots you posted in the linux section and ur screen looked cool. I thought it was vista by the startbar cool dude.

thankx again all.

mirc = windows

xchat = linux

Shouldn't this be in the Nubie HQ ?

If your using it with windows (don't know if your dual booting) x-chat was always my favorite. ATM though I'm just using the irc that comes with pidgin. It's not that great but seeing as i barely use irc these days theres no point installing a dedicated program for it.

I prefer Chatzilla for all my IRC needs.

It's a Firefox add-on so it's cross platform and free.

How has this thread gone this long without anyone mentioning IRSSI, the leetest text mode client

Great if you're running in a CLI only environment

IRC is kind of like the sewer system of the internet.

Sometimes its cool to go down there, like for hanging out with turtles, or if you see a dollar.

Most of the time its best to stay where its dry.

Yeah I downloaded it yesterday and i like what i see so far. And [Vector] yeah that was the one, i love the whole turned screen thing. Looks bad ass, dude. See ya on irc.

I do have one last question.

How do you move the mIrc to another computer without deleting your settings or using ur nick?

Can you just send to E: and burn or is there something special.

Thanx

take it easy all

Edited by Demonic_angel

ok thanks man. I already have moved it. Love the trivia at the channel trivia. (Too bad i suck at it, lol.)

FreeNode always has intelligent, helpful people that are involved in open source projects (also people will give you help in the langauge channels)

Outside of that, the conversations are likely to have a gradeschool type mentality to them (poo, pee, eff you, etc)

mirc = windows

xchat = linux

Shouldn't this be in the Nubie HQ ?

I think it is worth mentioning that xchat not exclusive to Linux. There are builds for Windows and Mac OSX, IIRC. For the Windows build, check out this one

Yeah i use x-chat on my windows, I find it much better than mIRC but thats just me.