Dr. Z2A

computer no longer boots windows

6 posts in this topic

So my dad's computer dual boots windows xp and linux. Recently he tried to make his D drive function as his C drive with Norton Ghost. The D partition is on a different hard drive than the C partition and D is larger than C. After he did this the computer booted into Linux but would not boot into Windows. He then switched the hard drives and made the hard drive with the D partition master and the original master slave. After this the computer just spit out "Grub Error 22" when the computer was turned on. I fixed this up by reinstalling grub with the root directory being on the second hard drive and changing the menu.lst to boot into Linux on the 2nd hard drive. Now it can boot into Linux again, but still not Windows. I put the following lines at the end of my menu.lst:

title		   Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root (hd0,2)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Even after putting those lines when I try to boot into any of them they all just flicker the screen and then go back to the grub menu. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

I had the idea as I was writing this to try to boot into the original partition which is now on the 2nd drive. So I'm going to add lines like the above except replacing hd0 with hd1. I'll reboot and see if that fixes up anything for me.

EDIT: So the change I made didn't work. I did notice something though. The 2nd and 3rd Windows XP boot lines in the grub menu flicker, but the others don't. They flash up "Filesystem type unknown, partition type " and then go back to the menu. The partition type that each says for lines 1, 4, 5, and 6 respectively are 0x7, 0xde, 0x7, and 0x5.

Edited by Dr. Z2A

Try to restore MBR from backup and for future use some more advanced boot manager

Try to restore MBR from backup and for future use some more advanced boot manager

I don't have a backup of the MBR, can't restore it from backup.

You might need to set the drive as active. I have seen a couple of times when I image drives that the partition doesn't show up as active. I boot from "ultimate boot cd" (www.ultimatebootcd.com) Open disk management, right click on c: and choose "Mark Partition as Activate"