Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecriscoking

Networking Question(s)

7 posts in this topic

I have a couple questions relating to networks.

Is the router the only piece of hardware that has to do with the speed of your connection (i.e. 10mbps, 100mbps, 1gbps)? Or does the modem and ISP control that? I know the Cat6 Ethernet cables support 1 gbps speeds but is there anything higher?

When you're talking about the 'speed' of a connection, there are a couple of things to think about. Speed can refer to bandwidth (i.e. 100Mbps, etc.) or latency (which is the time required to send/receive any piece of data, regardless of size).

A bottleneck (speed limitation) can occur at any point between your machine and the box you're connecting to.

Depending on what you're doing (i.e. what kind of traffic you're sending/receiving), latency or bandwidth could be the bottleneck. This is why, for example, you might click a link to a webpage and have to wait, but then all of a sudden the page snaps into existence. The bottleneck wasn't bandwidth (as the page was small), but rather latency (or, waiting for one of those hops in the middle--waiting for a server to respond or whatever).

If this doesn't really answer your question, maybe you could give us a little more info about what you're trying to do/find out. It's just important to understand how packet switched networks function to understand the question you're asking.

-cid

I think he wanted to know if only router limits his bandwidth :P, the cable and router only gives speeds it maximum supports, it doesnt "limit" it, the isp does.

Well my connection speed is 100mbps, im trying to figure out how to get it to 1gbps. Does the ISP have control of that?

Well my connection speed is 100mbps, im trying to figure out how to get it to 1gbps. Does the ISP have control of that?

hate to break it to you but unless you pay top dollar for a business account your not really getting 100mbps, that's just how fast it CAN go, your ISP will limit you to save bandwidth. Also if you are (for instance) behind a 10mbps hub but using a 100mbps card, you wont get the full speed of your NIC card. You are only as fast as your slowest component.

Are you refering to the speed of your LAN (ie. between computer and router)? If so this is dependant on your PC's network card, router and cabling between them (maybe your cable is not fully connected, 1gps requires all 4 pairs, 100mbps only needs 2). The speed of your LAN does not depend on your ISP.

If you are refering to a 1gbps internet connection, you obviously have enough cash to hire a consultant... ;-)

Mungewell.

alright then so basically, I'm just thinking out of my ass? haha thanks for showing me the light.