freq

remote VNC installation over net

6 posts in this topic

I've been kicking myself for not setting up VNC on my XP box pretty much since I left the house, but I'm traveling and just found out I'm going to be gone way longer than I originally thought. Theres tons of stuff I need off my desktop but I cant get to it.

Googling remote VNC installs turned up fastpush but it seems thats just for LANs and I'm 900 miles away.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could install VNC (something similar and free) on my machine without being in front of it?

I've been kicking myself for not setting up VNC on my XP box pretty much since I left the house, but I'm traveling and just found out I'm going to be gone way longer than I originally thought. Theres tons of stuff I need off my desktop but I cant get to it.

Googling remote VNC installs turned up fastpush but it seems thats just for LANs and I'm 900 miles away.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could install VNC (something similar and free) on my machine without being in front of it?

Of course, but getting through the hardware firewall (router) and well configured Windows firewall might be more difficult. ;-)

1st question has to be is there anyone who can get physical access on your behalf (even a well trained cat would do providing it isn't too busy doing prank 911 calls). If so you could get them to visit 'gotomeeting.com', run the client application and let you take control of the machine to install whatever software you require. For the technically minded I believe that their app is a java version of citrix.

Personally, despite being a free software nut, would suggest using Desktop Sharing (coupled with Rdesktop if your other machine is Linux). Seems to work much better than VNC. You'll also want to ensure that the channel is secure (VPN or something).

Good luck,

Munge.

do you have any kind of remote access into the box right now? or are you basically asking for a 0day windows exploit?