rockermm2

dual boot with vista and linux

8 posts in this topic

i have linux ubuntu and i got a vista cd and i was wondering if i could install vista to dual boot or do i have to install vista and then install linux again

As long as your hard drive is partitioned, you can install Vista now.

I did it and found no difference compared to xp or anything else. I used grub on a standalone partition.

even if partitioned it is easy to resize partitions, create new ones and then install another OS using multi booting tools which are plenty of

One problem I ran into while dual booting is the jumpers on the hard drives. Windows usually requires a 'primary' drive in order to install so if you have Ubuntu installed on the primary you may run into problems. Not 100% sure on this..

even if partitioned it is easy to resize partitions, create new ones and then install another OS using multi booting tools which are plenty of

where can i do that even in the vista install it wouldnt let me create new ones

If I remember right Vista won't give you an option and it really does have to be on the primary partition. If you don't care about what is on the machine you can just wipe it, install vista, then install Ubuntu. It was easiest for me to do it that way when I did it.

Right install Vista first and use the HD management software that comes with Vista. Create your drive from there then install your linux Dist. I have my dell laptop with Vista and Fedora 8.

So far I love it!! Good luck and if you need help just let us know.

--Malachai--