Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cusefan14324

New laptop crashes!!!

11 posts in this topic

OK i got this new laptop for christmas and i got some stuff on it right away.. turns out i got a virus also. So someone said i should try just an anitvirus program or just re-install the OS. Of course i picked the wrong one. I tried avast anti virus and it crashed my laptop. I boot it up and when i put in my log in password i see my desktop and then it logs back off to the screen i was on prevoius to it. Its running on XP and i was gonna get vista anyway for it sooner or later. So i want to do it now. Will this completly fix ths virus problem? I dont want to restore any files bc its new anyway i just want to get rid of everything and start it up with windows vista.. Now how do i go about doing this? I have the disk. But i cant seem to get it going. Like ill put it in and get nothing. Is it becuase of the screen or do i do something different. Do i have to do something before i install vista like clear the laptop? I still have some other questions but for now ill start with these.. Can anyone help?

I'm guessing that you want to grab some files before installing Vista. Go download a LiveCD, burn it, and boot it by changing the BIOS settings to check in your disk drive first. Then copy the files you want to a flashdrive and install Vista.

First of all, you dont want to put windows vista on your laptop. In comparison to windows xp, it is sluggish and a total resource hog. All of the cool effects it has can easily be found in almost any linux distro. As to your questions about whether installing a new OS would get rid of your virus, it will as long as you repartition/reformat your drive. When you boot your laptop with the vista disc in the drive, you have to set your bios to boot from a disc

First of all, you dont want to put windows vista on your laptop. In comparison to windows xp, it is sluggish and a total resource hog. All of the cool effects it has can easily be found in almost any linux distro. As to your questions about whether installing a new OS would get rid of your virus, it will as long as you repartition/reformat your drive. When you boot your laptop with the vista disc in the drive, you have to set your bios to boot from a disc

From the way he was talking I'm guessing he doesn't have that much Linux experience, and Vista can be better for some people. "Install Linux" isn't always the best option.

arite so maybe you cant find all the cool effects that are in vista in ANY linux distro, but if you look around, theres some really nice looking window managers and programs out there. I personally jus use fluxbox cause i dont really like that stuff, so i dont know all that much about it, ive just seen some nice ones

ok ill stick to XP but that wasnt my question.. I can get on to my computer it stays at the login screen and when i put the XP disk in nothnig happeneds.. i boot it up with it in it and it dont work. and is that all i do.. run the disk? and just follow the instructuions? how do i go about setting my bios.. wouldnt it already be on XP..

Edited by Cusefan14324

ok ill stick to XP but that wasnt my question.. I can get on to my computer it stays at the login screen and when i put the XP disk in nothnig happeneds.. i boot it up with it in it and it dont work. and is that all i do.. run the disk? and just follow the instructuions? how do i go about setting my bios.. wouldnt it already be on XP..

nah. it wouldn't be on XP.. BIOS could care less about what OS you're putting on the system. You'd need to set it to boot from the CD rom before trying the hard drive. Then you follow the instructions the installation program on the CD gives you.

I've found some laptops.. like the Toshiba I was playing with a few months ago, wouldn't let me get into a true bios.. I think I had to hit F12 to get a 'boot' menu.

most systems I've come across (PCs) use the DEL(most) or F2(dell?) keys to get into bios..

What laptop do you have?? make and model?

i have a dell latitude d600. ok thanks im gonan try the XP now.. But was about wat that one guy was saying when he told me to reformat my drive? Do i need to do this to make sure the virus is gone and if so where can i find out how to do this effictiently

Edit*

the disk is running and ive come to a page showing wat is on the laptop

Partioned Space

Unpartioned Space

It asks what i want to run the new XP on or which one i would like to delete.. What should i do? Delete the Partioned space and write over it? Or just run over it?

Edited by Cusefan14324

i have a dell latitude d600. ok thanks im gonan try the XP now.. But was about wat that one guy was saying when he told me to reformat my drive? Do i need to do this to make sure the virus is gone and if so where can i find out how to do this effictiently

Edit*

the disk is running and ive come to a page showing wat is on the laptop

Partioned Space

Unpartioned Space

It asks what i want to run the new XP on or which one i would like to delete.. What should i do? Delete the Partioned space and write over it? Or just run over it?

ahh... depends on what you want to do with it... if it's going to be XP entirely let it have the whole drive... Ya may want to create some partitions to make life easier later... one for windows, one for a swap space, and one for the data.. so if you reinstall again, you can just reformat the windows partition w/o losing your data (music, utilities, etc.)

I know you're looking to install Vista.. but..

a quick google for "vista laptop install"

gave me this.. http://computershopper.com/howto/installin..._how-to_guide_1

Hope it answers some questions you don't even know to ask yet... and good luck.

Edited by PurpleJesus

if you do have a virus, you'll probably want to overwrite the mbr before doing anything else in case you have a bootkit.

ok i re-installed windows xp... everything looks regular and normal except my audio.. I cant hear anything. all i get for messages is a beep? How can i get my audio back??